• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of two MEP-802a units

tcruwithme

I recently won a GL auction for two MEP-802a units and just got up to Camp Ripley, MN to pick them up. Here's my story, which may sound familiar to many.

GL advertised these units as condition B. When I got the paid-in-full invoice, it listed both units as "Demil A." That was a pleasant surprise. Then when I got there to pick them up, they had the model name and a circled "B" marked on each unit in chalk. Then when you look at the GL sticker, it says "Demil A7." That seems about par for the course for GL based on what I have read here on SS.

When Soldier B and I were waiting for the fork lift to show up, I took this picture of a really cool truck parked nearby. I'd love to have one of these:

20150330_111123[1].jpg

Then I got to see the military fork lift in action. That thing was awesome, and I want one of those also!

20150330_112020[1].jpg 20150330_112030[1].jpg

Both 802a units looked pretty good. Here's a picture of one, and the other one looked exactly the same.

20150330_111006[1].jpg

We then made the short drive home. GL said that both units had all fluids drained from them in the original auction post. The GL guy we talked to on site also said the same thing. Well, what that meant in this case is that the drained the fuel out of both units. Both units had full coolant that looked clean, and both units had oil in them. The oil level was low in both units, so I did an oil and oil filter change for both.

I then put 51R batteries on one unit and NF22 batteries in the other unit, as there were no batteries in either unit when we picked them up. We then put fuel in both units and tried to start them. One unit started up with minor protest, ran for a minute, and then died. Upon the second starting attempt for that unit, it started and stayed running. That one sounds good. The other unit did not start. The fuel light is lit on the panel, and it sounds like it is not getting fuel. We can hear the pump running though.

So, I'll be reading the TMs to figure out the troubleshooting procedure to get this fixed. I also have new fuel filters and air filters for both units that I want to get installed. I am not sure I should have jumped into this MEP project at this time, but it's not every day you see these units come up on auction at your local base. I have a lot of projects for my M35A2, but I need to get these MEP units in good shape first.

tcruwithme

Yikes! The guy running the forklift that was loading my MEP-802a units was not as skilled as he should be either. I wanted to say, "let me give it a try!" I think it's sometimes a matter of who is available and not who is able.

Hope you lucked out and got two good units. I got two trailers and GL forgot to mention the fork lift fork hole in the side wall of the tire. Student driver?

glassk

Demil A7 & condition codes are seperate
CONDITION CODES - SUPPLY
(Assigned by Generating Activity)
DEFINITION:

[FONT=Arial,Arial]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]A one-digit alpha code assigned by the generating activity to describe the condition of the property.

http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/crm/Documents/c-a-t.pdf

DEMILITARIZATION CODES

DEFINITION:

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]A code assigned to an item by the item manager to identify the required demilitarization. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]
TABLE ID: DMIL

CHARACTERS: 1
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]DATA TYPE: ALPHA
[/FONT]
[/FONT]CODE
DESCRIPTION
A
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Non-MLI/
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Non-CCLI [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]-- Demilitarization not required [/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"no fuel" light on.

That signal comes from the liquid level unit in the fuel tank. Don't confuse the liquid level unit with the fuel gauge -- they aint the same thing. The"no fuel" light circuitry is in no way related to the fuel gauge.

The liquid level unit has an aluminum tube coming vertically out of the left top & front (front being the side facing you when the cover is off) of the tank. It'll have four wires coming out of it and will go to the bottom of the inside wall next to the right side of the tank. It'll be a small metal box about 2.25 inches square. Inside that box is a circuit board. From that box there is another connector and wire that goes to the control box.

As with all the MEP-802/3 circuitry it seems more complex than what is needed, however if you get into the details of it all that 'stuff' makes sense.

If any of the wiring is disconnected or is missing then that could cause your problem.

If for some reason you need to remove the liquid level sensor, you can PM me and I can walk you through it. It isn't hard to do, but there are a couple of "AHA!" moments in the removal and replacement.

I've found that small box on the frame missing in the past. If that is missing, then PM me as well.

good luck with your generator(s)

BTW, taking off that rear panel is always a lot of "fun??" After all the obvious screws are removed the panel will slide down. You need to keep repeating that mantra---- "the panel will slide down.." 'cause you aint gonna think that it will after the first ten minutes and three cuts on your fingers later. It will slide down.....

On re-assembly I always use the Dremel tool to make it go back in place.
z

Last edited:

tcruwithme

Thanks for all that great info, Z! I will not get a chance to work on these for another week, but I will follow your guidance when I dig in. I am sure that I will have questions for you later. Thanks again.

"no fuel" light on.

That signal comes from the liquid level unit in the fuel tank. Don't confuse the liquid level unit with the fuel gauge -- they aint the same thing. The"no fuel" light circuitry is in no way related to the fuel gauge.

The liquid level unit has an aluminum tube coming vertically out of the left top & front (front being the side facing you when the cover is off) of the tank. It'll have four wires coming out of it and will go to the bottom of the inside wall next to the right side of the tank. It'll be a small metal box about 2.25 inches square. Inside that box is a circuit board. From that box there is another connector and wire that goes to the control box.

As with all the MEP-802/3 circuitry it seems more complex than what is needed, however if you get into the details of it all that 'stuff' makes sense.

If any of the wiring is disconnected or is missing then that could cause your problem.

If for some reason you need to remove the liquid level sensor, you can PM me and I can walk you through it. It isn't hard to do, but there are a couple of "AHA!" moments in the removal and replacement.

I've found that small box on the frame missing in the past. If that is missing, then PM me as well.

good luck with your generator(s)

BTW, taking off that rear panel is always a lot of "fun??" After all the obvious screws are removed the panel will slide down. You need to keep repeating that mantra---- "the panel will slide down.." 'cause you aint gonna think that it will after the first ten minutes and three cuts on your fingers later. It will slide down.....

On re-assembly I always use the Dremel tool to make it go back in place.
z

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks