• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refreshing Gunny the thread.

GunnyM1009

12669520_1515427535419967_4364741658428243835_n.jpg
This photo was taken in 2017, not to long after this the transmission went out on Gunny. Me not having the knowledge or the money to do anything to remedy the situation he got parked till late 2021 when I decided to just try to get him fired up and running again. After pulling glow plugs I put transmission fluid in each cylinder and let it sit over night. To my surprise he wasn't even the least bit seized when I put a wrench on him and turned him over. I then hooked up the batteries and turned him over with the starter to blow the trans fluid out. I installed new glow plugs and turned him over again and he tried to come to life immediately. That's when I decided this M1009 wants to be back on the road and this will be the build thread for that.

Edit- My name is Richard the truck got its name Gunny from a Marine friend of mine.

Last edited:

GunnyM1009

The first thing I had to do was get the transmission rebuilt. After attempting to call in some favors and all of them falling through I ordered a work bench how to on rebuilding a GM TH400 ordered the parts and few special tools I needed and set to work. This is the completed rebuild.0621221931.jpg all in I have about $650 in the trans rebuild and that's with buying the few tools I didn't have.

GunnyM1009

After I got done with the trans I remembered that the transfer case used to have a problem falling out of 4 high so I decided to go ahead and rebuild it as well with a new chain, bearings, and seals. Here is the completed transfer case. I think it cost about $250 with the new chain.0625221911.jpg and yes I rebuilt the trans and transfer case on that old ratty fold out table that I picked up off the side of the road. It does have some 1x4s screwed down across the center for a little added strength.

GunnyM1009

I decided before I put the trans and transfer case back in the underside of the truck needed some love so I commenced with degreasing and painting the under side. Fortunately I live in the south so no worries about salt down here. This should last many years to come.0630221727a.jpg0630221727.jpg I also installed that new flex plate around this time with ARP bolts to hold it on.

Last edited:

GunnyM1009

I decided everything that got pulled off was either getting replaced if needed or at the very least a wire brushing and a coat of primer and paint.0724221114.jpg refreshed cross member with new grade 8 hardware which everything I replace will either have grade 8 bolts or ARP bolts.

Last edited:

GunnyM1009

Your truck is looking Good!!
Lots of work and the best part is that YOU did it.
Somehow that just makes the smile that much bigger as you roll down the road...

:)
I appreciate it. I'm currently 34 and my nephew has loved this truck since I got it when he was 13 I'm hoping to be able to leave it to him one day many years from now.

GunnyM1009

Gunny, when you rebuild the transfer case, did you replace the shifter shaft seal? How was that accomplished? I am asking because mine is leaking (the last leak I need to get to!!) and I want to fix it. Thanks!
CUCVRUS answered your question. With that tool you can remove the bolt that holds the linkage to the shaft and get the seal out and back. Otherwise you would have to pull the entire thing apart. 0619221113a.jpg that large flat piece on the right is the shifter on the inside and to get it out the T-case has to be almost completely broken down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks