• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

registration issues in new york

JOR

I just bought a BMY Harsco M925A2 from Fort Lauderdale FL. drove it home to New York. Went to register it and my local DMV said the truck doesn't have enough vin numbers. So they say they can't help me because as far as they are concerned this is an off road vehicle, but they gave me a number for NY DMV technical assessment who then tell me this is a War Machine and is not fit to be registered in the state of New York. Does anyone know of a way to get it registered in New York that the DMV is not telling me or should I just establish residency in a more military truck friendly state.

99nouns

Go to a different DMV and add enough 0's to make up the required digits to the end of serial number and if they ask what make and model, tell them AM General custom truck, doesnt have a model, it worked for some people...

jatonka

There is no such thing as "War Machine", I have registered at least 40 Deuces, old 5 tons and modern 900 series 5 tons, and a 915A1 tractor in NY. Go to a small county Dmv, go there with 17 digits in your VIN number and be sure your Historical Insurance card has the same VIN on it. There are atleast 1000 military trucks registered in NY state. You need an FS97 from the Gov't or an MV51 document swearing to ownership of the truck. Make sure you list the GVW as 20,000 pounds or less no matter what or you can't have a Historical registration. JT

JOR

I think the issue is that my Florida title doesn't have the extra zeros, it also states weight at 22500. And the year on the title is 2000. That year kept me from being able to get historical status and for the insurance I added the zeros but ulster county DMV was trying to Mach vin in computer and couldn't so I'll try a smaller friendlier county any suggestions thanks for your feed back

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
******NO DO NOT ADD EXTRA ZEROs ****** NYS Central DMV knows EXACTLY how to register the truck. If you want, take a road trip to Rome NY, go to the DMV there, and have a great pizza at DiCastros down the street when you are done. Those women know EXACTLY what and how to do this. Mine are all and have all been registered through that office with no modification to the VIN. Changing or trying to circumvent the situation will only raise a big red flag. Trust me.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good advice above. Go to a different branch. Don't add zeros. My truck has a 5 digit vin. Custom plates said vin was already used, some trailer. I said is this a problem? They said no. A few min later all was OK and it was on the reg.

Made this trip to custom plate in Albany 3 pr 4 time over the years, for different vehicles. One time they sent me downstairs to the in house DMV office, for the green tax coupon. The old lady told me that I had to find all previous owners that didn't register it, have them pay sales tax , register it then transfer it to the next one and have them reg and pay more sales tax... These owners sold it decades earlier and would have laughed at the idea. I went over to the Pearl St office. Paid tax on info on the bill of sale, got the coupon and went back to Core 4... Custom plates is always a nice experience.

They did the Stalwart 10y ago. The old lady insisted classifying it a tank (normally used for liquid tanker trucks). I said it is not armor. She said she didn't care, it looked like a tank so it was going to be a tank. Folks now look at window sticker to see what it is, see 1971 Alvis tank. Custom Plate did same with the V same way though it does seem to apply being armor, albeit still misrepresented.

Attachments

JOR

Thanks for your good advice I took wheelspinners to go to Rome and it worked like a charm I slapped those plates right on and was cruising around town as soon as possible

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your good advice I took wheelspinners to go to Rome and it worked like a charm I slapped those plates right on and was cruising around town as soon as possible
That's awesome. I have to go see them the end of next week to title an old Kenworth I picked up. I'll tell them how happy you left!

catskillpond

We had to go through 3 different clerks in Sullivan County at Dmv The last wanted tow insurance M816 the last one called albany. They lowered the weight from 36.000 to 22.000 for historic plates. I guess it is a different pail of worms for a newer one good luck.

acesneights1

They are full of it. I lived in that armpit for 35 yrs and my Old 1973 F600 Ford only had 10 digit vin.
NY DMV is the seventh circle of ****.
fortunatley there are no vin checks in NY so you could add the zeros if need be.

acesneights1

Also there is no vehicle property tax in NY so really you could register in another state without issue. In states like the people's Republic of Ct they nail people for doing that because of cheating on taxes but in NY it doesn't matter afaik.

War machines..lol
Thanks for reminding me that leaving was a good thing. Next stop Montana.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks