• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registration Numbers for M101 & M101A1 Trailers

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know how the military registration numbers were derived for the M101 (M101A1, M101A2 & M101A3) Series of trailers? There is lots of information on the process of assigning registration numbers to motorized vehicles, but I am unable to find anything regarding formulating or assigning registration numbers to trailers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Storm 51

jeepin

I don't know the process for assigning, but here is a data point to help your search. This is a 1968 101a1. the stenciled reg number is the 06HA2068IMG_0837.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAVFAC P-300 is in the TMs and has a complete explanation of registration numbers......for Navy equipment.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, guys! It is tough to find the details on these trailers. They are very common, but information is sparse and parts are far more difficult to find than for the trucks.

I've got all my data plates, but no military registration numbers (the serial number is on the data plate) and finding out how they did the registration numbers for these trailers looks to be another adventure.

Thanks for your help and please keep me in mind if you see or hearing anything in the future that might help.

Storm 51

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The old VIN INFO thread would have solved this potentially. Downside is, a lot less trailers were ever registered in the database than powered vehicles. If I were to SWAG an estimate, of all vehicles owned by the Army since 1971, I'd say 60% of all trailers were ever registered and maybe 95% of wheeled vehicles and 99+% of combat vehicles. New vehicles since ~2003 are nearly 100% because it is registered as part of the transfer process.

KaiserM109

When I went to register two M105s, I was told that the government never assigned serial numbers to trailers, just lot numbers. The supervisor at the Colorado DMV decided to just use the lot numbers for the serial numbers. Fine and dandy, but when he tried, someone else with a trailer from the same lot as one of mine had already done that. The DMV guy added an 'A' to the end and that's how my trailer is registered.

When registering my M101A1, which was missing the tongue, brake drums and one backing plate and labeled 'scrap', I registered it a homebuilt. When the State Patrolman did a physical inspection he nodded, gave me a serial number and signed the papers.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Naw, everything had a serial number and a registration number if it was in DoD service. Trailers do not have the serial number stamped/engraved in the frame like motorized vehicles do. Also, I've personally found the same serial number on different trailers of different manufacturers (the registrations numbers were different but serial numbers were definitely the same). This mainly occurred in the M101 and A1 models and the M105 (except A3) models. Don't recall it happening on the M101A2 or A3 models.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks