• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote brake fluid reservoir

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see it's a popular mod and makes perfect sense.

I've spotted a couple universal reservoirs itself for like $20 on amazon, but I have some questions.

Normally, the MC reservoir is vented to atmosphere... Now, if you get a remote reservoir, and the reservoir now has a vented cap, that means it's not waterproof, and, due to laws of physics, you can't have a vent line AND a reservoir because fluid will fill up the vent line up to the level that the reservoir is at.

So, how does one deal with high water situations? Maybe a valve that shuts off the reservoir, and then just flush the reservoir when you're done doing high water stuff and refill with DOT5? Make a DIY fording kit and just push 1 PSI into the reservoir, to keep water out?

Thoughts?

I'm understanding that you don't want a sealed reservoir because if you do have a fluid leak at a wheel cylinder, fluid won't be drawn in to replace the air in the lines and it'll create a vacuum and more air will get sucked in from the leak, is that correct?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just put a sight glass in the cab to act as a reservoir. All the tubing and the sight glass held enough and I could watch the level go up and down on brake applications. Remember to remove the splash plate in the MC.
I have one sight glass left if you are interested.
The level in the sight glass IS the total level of the DOT5. a sight glass has a small vent in the cap of it.
If I needed to add fluid I took the cap off and filled it thru the sight glass, When bleeding the brakesthe sight glass is valved out locally below the glass and the pressure bleeder is valved in.
I have never seen a better one of these.

Attachments

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the kits that I've seen have the line up to the remote go in the place of the vent cap and lead up through the floor to an area on the left side of the driver's seat on the back wall, almost level with the top of the cab wall. If you are going deeper than that, you will need a deep water fording kit anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks