• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removal of the shift lever - need help

forest522

Gentlemen,

I have researched other CUCV threads and had difficulty finding out how to remove the shift lever arm. The Chiltons manual and the TMs are not clear on this procedure.

Or maybe I've been spending too much time on the project and my brain is mush?! :deadhorse:

Either way, I am stumped. My '84 M1009 is about to get new paint and a recently spiffed up interior. Got to get the rust off that shift lever and it needs to come off!

The pin at the base near the column isnt budging and the hammer and tap method suggested by a friend could be too aggressive.

Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited:

wayne pick

It's a roll pin, use a flat punch that is the same diameter as the pin and give it a good tap. If you use a smaller punch or a center punch, you may mushroom the roll pin making it even harder to get out.

forest522

Thanks! I had heard that but after a few wacks with the hammer and punch it just didnt feel right. The pin looks rusty. A little PB penetrator might help. I'll try a large punch and get back with resuts.

Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks