• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing CARC dangers and disposal

GoHot229

It's been mentioned here how CARC contains silicas and a host of bad ingredients, and that a resperator and long clothing should be used when sanding. A member 'Jones' posted a TM ? I believe about the subject, but it was unloadablt, a shame, so my question is this: when sanding in the open, is it ok to let the sanding dust just fall to the ground and be taken over and burried by the lawn . I live in a rural setting on 27 acres, but I'm not keen on contaminating the soil....will CARC cause environmental problems? I intend to use the safety equiptment, but had thought of sanding and just washing (rinsing) the dust off and of course the final destination would be on the lawn. If I can capture some of the dust I'd dispose of it, but alot will just fall to the ground . I'm on the last leg of finishing my Deuce, so paints next...non-Carc.

Snarky

It's been mentioned here how CARC contains silicas and a host of bad ingredients, and that a resperator and long clothing should be used when sanding. A member 'Jones' posted a TM ? I believe about the subject, but it was unloadablt, a shame, so my question is this: when sanding in the open, is it ok to let the sanding dust just fall to the ground and be taken over and burried by the lawn . I live in a rural setting on 27 acres, but I'm not keen on contaminating the soil....will CARC cause environmental problems? I intend to use the safety equiptment, but had thought of sanding and just washing (rinsing) the dust off and of course the final destination would be on the lawn. If I can capture some of the dust I'd dispose of it, but alot will just fall to the ground . I'm on the last leg of finishing my Deuce, so paints next...non-Carc.
Well if all it contained was silica, I wouldn't worry. Silica is Silicon dioxide which is what sand is mostly made of. Obviously you should wear a mask so you don't get bronchitis, silicosis, or... you know cancer, if you were planning on breathing a burst of sand dust every day.

Unfortunately, I'm reading the MSDS, and it has at least 3 toxic ingredients in addition to the sicilia compounds.

This is a MSDS I found for green CARC. From what I can tell inhaling it is not particulary bad, but if you do it chronically it can cause sideffects... The most interesting one I found was "LOSS OF INTELLECTUAL ABILITY" which might explain a lot of the things wrong with me.

At any rate, the solvents that evaporate when spraying CARC are infinately more dangerous than the CARC itself; Based on what this website shows: MILSPRAY - Technical Data: MSDS Sheets

I certainly wouldn't worry too much about it poisoning the land around it, just don't eat it or breath it.

Have a look.

Attachments

1qwkgoat

My thouhts where I have dogs and the neighbors have horses. So even if I wore a mask if the wind was blowing right they could get most of the dust. With a gentle rain shower in the spring and the right amount of gore tex clothing it wouldn't be bad at all. And yes I'll use a air sander. I didn't think about that for people with elec. sanders. I bought a large air compressor, so to get my mony's worth out it I use alot of air tools.

Last edited:

stumps

You guys are misunderstanding what the MSDS is telling you. The MSDS is for uncatalyzed liquid CARC paint.

When the paint dries, it becomes an entirely different substance. The highly toxic isocyanates catalyze completely and become inert plastics.

Other than the dust when sanding, which is just plastic and pigment dust, hardened CARC paint is harmless.

Spraying CARC paint is a whole different story. It must be done in a full environmental bunny suit, with fresh air pumped into your helmet. Skin contact is no good. breathing the fumes is worse. Cartridge respirators will not help!

-Chuck

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the complete MSDS of a product also tells you how to properly dispose of the product. Most times disposal is listed on MSDS, other times it refers you to a protocol to follow which you have to look up.

If in doubt, contact the manufacturer if any questions arise.

Snarky

The MSDS lists the pigments Cobalt Chromite and Chromium Oxide (to make OD green), which are still in the paint after curing, as toxic chemicals. Most of the paint is silicon dioxide as a filler: fine particles of it still causes problems with human respiratory systems, although it's harmless to most everything else.

Jones

While spraying, the isocyanates are airborne and still "curing" That's the stuff you don't want in lungs (yours or anybody elses) while that process is taking place.

Once dried / cured, the hazard is any sanding, grinding or burning releasing the silicates and other nasties into the air. Without breathing protection, it would be like inhaling very fine glass slivers.

Throw down a cheap ground cover and wet down the area you're working on. An air sander is the tool of choice simply so you don't have to worry about being electrocuted.
Sand to your heart's content (I'd still wear a respirator).
As long as you keep the surface damp so any loosened stuff falls to the ground instead of being carried away on the breezes, you shouldn't have any problems.

The dust I'd treat with respect. Like Snarky pointed out; some of the coloring agents are still what they were when applied.

Last edited:

stumps

The silicates and pigments used in CARC are the same as found in many other varieties of paint. The silicates protect the paint against the sun and the weather. When any hardened paint is sanded, the resulting dust must be kept out of your lungs. Dried CARC paint is as safe as any other dried paint.

The silicates in question are simply finely milled beach sand. They exist in many high quality exterior paints. Ground finely, beach sand will take out your lungs with silicosis.

If you are looking for something to do, look up the MSDS for some of the highly prized two part urethane automotive paints. DuPont Imron urethane enamel paints and most importantly, its activators come to mind.

I have heard BS stories of the dangers of CARC paint for as long as CARC paint has been used. I heard guys (on one of these military lists) swear that if a CARC painted truck caught fire, you had to run away as fast as you could, or the chemical warfare agents in it would kill you instantly. It is a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. Liquid CARC is the dangerous product. Dried CARC is just another urethane paint.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks