• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the steering Diff from an M548A1

L1A1

Trying to remove the steering diff in my M548A1 and have gotten everything (un)done except for the left hand universal. It seems that bolts that hold it together can't be removed whithout backing into either the brake disc or the final drive housing.I've checked the manuals that I have on hand and the -34 appears to have nothing on this nor does my -20-1. I know I need more manuals-something I'm working on but in the mean time if there is someone out there who has done this & would care to enlighten me, it would be much appreciated.

Matt

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your tracks are off, a solution might be to unbolt the final drive and slide it over. Kinda heavy, support it with some cribbing.

L1A1

I haven't broken track & remove the final drives yet. That might be the way it's done, though. The three things that are on the short list for removal (that's require a wrecker/overhead hoist) are the diff, radiator & winch assembly. Thanks for your reply.
Matt

L1A1

Ok had the wrecker stop by late last week and we removed the winch, radiator & steering differential. Before the wrecker's arrival, I removed anything that would/could get in the way that was attached to the diff. The challenging part was unbolting the short (driver's side) drive shaft from the diff to the final drive. I used a 3/4" open end wrench and had to move the whole vehicle back & forth to bring the "next set" of bolts up into reach. After hooking up the wrecker's winch cables, the three mounting pins that hold it in place were driven out and the differential came right out, straight up.

Next up for removal will be the cooling fan & hull sump pump.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks