• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing water from instrument gauges

3dAngus

I knew better then to wash my new deuce down with a hose, but I figured a bucket of soapy water and soft bristle brush alone wouldn't do it to my satisfaction. And sure enough, one gauge, my oil gauge, on the bottom left, picked up a lot of water and you could see it down in the bottom of the gauge, where it would climb up in water beads during the day, and turn the gauge into an unreadable cloudy mess. Ever see this one before?

I advertised some of my dehumidifiers for the Ga. Rally without buckets for $30 and stated they would suck the moisture out of a concrete block wall. And I've proven that time and time again in the basement of a lake cottage of mine. (they are all sold, I think).

So I decided, if they will suck moisture out of a concrete floor, or a concrete block wall, why not see if I can save myself $30-40 bucks on a new gauge and see if it will take this lingering water out of the oil pressure gauge, where it has been sitting for the last couple of weeks.

It worked!!

I plugged it in last night and just sat it on top of my passenger seat. After an hour I checked and it was hot as heck inside so I opened a window about six inches on the drivers side. There was no noticeable difference on the gauge, as it was still pretty cloudy. The heat is from the compressor as the dehumidifiers have a compressor and freon in them.

The next morning, bright and early, I was anxious to check on it to make sure I didn't burn down the deuce. Opening the window made a lot of difference as it was not as hot inside as it was last night with the windows all sealed and it only running an hour or two. I was at the passenger seat to unplug the dehumidifier and looked at the gauges, but was not 100% positive what I was seeing, so I got my camera and went to the drivers side. These pictures are the before and after.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks