• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement turn signal cancel ring

swabbie

Does anyone know where to source the turn signal cancel ring? I've found them,
but the want to sell you the whole kit. I only need the ring, 'cause the very weak
and fragile plastic 'fingers' have both broken off. If possible I'd like to get a replacement
ring. Second choice is to jury rig something that is functional. These ought to be
worth a few bucks, but ya know how they are....

Ring1.jpg

Ring2.jpg

AAVP7

Which fingers exactly have broken off ? The two thin ones are only needed for installation ( I think to get the distance to the switch unit right) and are intentionally broken off after mounting.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The two small pins are for indexing / alignment and are broken off. The fat two stay on. Switch is slotted and needs to be adjusted to just made contact with the switch cancel flipper. Not sure how these are breaking when set correctly?

Snap, crackle & pop, CAMO

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Wonder if these can be 3D printed? I'm not the best in CAD... But I do have an industrial printer now...
BDGR

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can send you mine if you want it, maybe you can duplicate it sell them to other members LOL

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can send you mine if you want it, maybe you can duplicate it sell them to other members LOL
If swabbie doesn't take you up on it, I will. At least I can take a look at it and decide if it's worth trying to CAD one up to try out. The printer I have now can readily handle the better plastics I would want to build this out of if I were going to sell them and stand behind them.
BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, $45 each at Kascar, higher from others. I can definitely make them WAAAAAAAAY cheaper than that, even using quality made fiber reinforced ABS.
BDGR

AAVP7

I tried printing one from ABS, but the problem is that the two thicker posts are hollow, and have moving plastic pistons in them, plus a spring.

The forces on the posts when returning the steering wheel back to middle position are considerable, so in the printed version the pretty thin walls of the thicker posts didn´t hold up for long.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried printing one from ABS, but the problem is that the two thicker posts are hollow, and have moving plastic pistons in them, plus a spring.

The forces on the posts when returning the steering wheel back to middle position are considerable, so in the printed version the pretty thin walls of the thicker posts didn´t hold up for long.
Could the thick posts be printed thin and sleeved internally with AL or Brass tube? I confess, I've never seen one in person so I'm spitballing.
BDGR

AAVP7

I never opened mine (the lid of the moving piston is glued or welded shut), so I don´t know the original wall thickness. Can´t be much, though.

swabbie

Thank you all for the replies. Sadly, I must admit that I haven't been on here
since I wrote the request. Mistakenly, I thought I'd get an email if anyone
answered this message. (other times it has happened)

Since the turn signal 'kit' didn't come with any instructions, I didn't know that
the two thin plastic 'fingers' were supposed to be broken off, and the thicker ones
didn't reach far enough unless I mounted the ring on the steering column.

I went ahead and made a steel version 'patch'. After all, this -IS- steel soldiers, right?
I just drilled holes where the fingers were, and bent a coat hangar to fit. Works fine,
but does 'click'.

Attachments

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed an aftermarket steering wheel and adapter on my 1045 and drilled and installed 2 roll pins for the turn signal trips. It works fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks