• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resolution size of PNG vs JPG

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems that PNG files upload to a smaller resolution than JPG files.

Using Firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit)
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.1480

Yes, the PNG's have been edited (in Windows Paint) and cropped (in Windows 10 default photo viewer), but the PNG files are still much large resolution than displayed on Steel Soldiers.

PNG:
2017-07-12 21.09.33.jpg 2017-07-12 21.09.37.jpg

Original File Resolutions:
PNG #1: 2330 x 1747
PNG #2: 2750 x 2063

Temporary Link to the above two PNG files, for debugging/comparison:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hseh5dzi908sxt/2017-07-12 21.09.33.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o442z5xeac1htfg/2017-07-12 21.09.37.png?dl=0

Unedited JPG:
2017-07-12 21.09.33.jpg 2017-07-12 21.09.37.jpg

Original File Resolutions:
JPG #1: 3264 x 2448
JPG #2: 3264 x 2448

Temporary Link to the above two JPG files, for debugging/comparison:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhx8a4ebbozlaq8/2017-07-12 21.09.33.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zojazuzwaee2vkl/2017-07-12 21.09.37.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, they are resizing to a different rate. At one time everything was 800x600, but I bumped jpg to 1024 by request. I can increase PNG to that if needed, but most everyone uses jpg.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence, the same quality picture in jpeg is usually half the kb of a png. Can you convert to jpeg before posting? I do it in Paint, open the picture there, then save as a jpeg. There are probably better or more exciting ways, but that's what I can accomplish with my 'old man' computer skills. ;)
I know the site likes pictures under 100kb, so that's what I aim for.

Cheers

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well JPG is a lossy image format due to compression, and my experience with MS Paint is that it saves JPGs with high compression, which makes the image very grainy and just looks bad. Hence, I choose to save the images that I edit as PNG, as it doesn't increase the file size very much, and then the image and added text/arrows etc, will still look decent when uploaded and resized on Steel Soldiers.

The way Steel Soldiers website presents the pictures, as the user clicks the "next" button, it is very disruptive/annoying to suddenly have an image that is not the same resolution or orientation as the rest, as you have to keep chasing where that "Next" button moves to. What usually happens is the user positions their mouse and starts clicking the "Next" button, then an unexpected different sized image comes along, the user clicks, and they either click on the image itself or on the background page. That will either close the image viewer or open the image in a blank page - either way, then the user has to take action and navigate back a page or find where they were in the image series.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well JPG is a lossy image format due to compression, and my experience with MS Paint is that it saves JPGs with high compression, which makes the image very grainy and just looks bad. Hence, I choose to save the images that I edit as PNG, as it doesn't increase the file size very much, and then the image and added text/arrows etc, will still look decent when uploaded and resized on Steel Soldiers.

The way Steel Soldiers website presents the pictures, as the user clicks the "next" button, it is very disruptive/annoying to suddenly have an image that is not the same resolution or orientation as the rest, as you have to keep chasing where that "Next" button moves to. What usually happens is the user positions their mouse and starts clicking the "Next" button, then am unexpected different sized image comes along, the user clicks, and they either click on the image itself or on the background page. That will either close the image viewer or open the image in a blank page - either way, then the user has to take action and navigate back a page or find where they were in the image series.
I am far from an authority on this issues but from my experience, all the chasing is due to the person uploading pics. Many folks use their phone for pics and sadly, many didn't get the memo from life and and use portrait mode. There must be a setting in some of these phones that changes or determines for itself, what side of the pic is the bottom. Now I will show my real lack of computer knowledge. If the pics could be uploaded into some type of bitmap type of blodder to keep the size the same it might help.

They say it's better to be silent and thought an idiot rather than speak and remove all doubt. This might be applicable right here.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh well, I just know what works for me. :) To each his own.

I don't do anything like that with the phone, just PC.

Cheers

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There'd have to be quite a bit of underlying code change to help smooth the difference between portrait and landscape pictures, but that's a horse of a different color.

The vast majority of my thousands of pictures uploaded *are* JPG, but sometimes strange incompatibilities arise, or a picture needs to be edited to help clarify a discussion then I'll use PNG. It would just be appreciated if they were treated the same.

But whatever the staff deems appropriate.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have experienced that same "disadvantage" - of blurry, way downsized JPG-converted PNG files - when posting any of my drawings. And I'm talking of files which usually are not larger than the allowed limit of 100 KB. Funny thing is that even when posting a 25 KB PNG image, the system would still convert it into a 25 KB JPG-file before it appears as attachment.
For now, the only way around it (preserve the original quality) is to convert to PDF and then attach it as such. But that is more complicated to view directly.

Take the attached image as a typical example, showing pretty well what is happening today:
Obviously its original size of 7.4 MB (done with MS-Paint in BMP) is way too large to store or even post anywhere, but it only takes up 85 KB to have it neatly stored in PNG. (And unlike JPG-files, one can open a PNG in MS-Paint as often as wanted; that is, go back and forth without sacrificing quality, each time!)
But the problem we have here is that when I try to post it, our system automatically converts this PNG to JPG, coming out with only 19.2 KB. Not only is it full of speckles now but also way too small to even read any of the numbers there.

Not so much for common pictures, but for drawings at least, it would be nice if we could have PNG-files attached, in their original size- and up to 100 KB at least. Anyone could open them in MS-Paint and even work on the image if desired.

G.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The image resizer the server uses will resize a picture by default if it falls outside the allowed dimensions. Looking at the png setting it was allowing a 800x800 max. And a lower file size. I've set it to match the current jpg settings.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fantastic. That's all I was asking for; equal treatment under the law. ;)

Thank you fine sir!

Last edited:

DrillerSurplus

I don't know if you guys saw this news two days ago-Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

The story prompted an uproar leading to yesterday's Internet revolt just saved Microsoft Paint

I've used Paint for many years to create drawings or quick sketches for the welding shop or captioning photos, etc. It is simple, but also versatile & easy to use. I'm glad to see enough others felt that way to reverse Microsoft's decision in just one day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks