• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoring Brass Data Plate

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, The winch on my M275A2 is off a 1953 M35 and as such it has a brass data plate. Since installing a new OD Iron top channel, I need to reinstall the data plates. What is a fair way to de-tarnish the data plate without hitting it with abrasives. Don't want it polished, just cleaned up a bit. Once de-tarnished, is it a good idea to clearcoat it?
Thanks In Advance.

Jones

See if you can find some stuff called Tarnex. Comes in a black bottle with white lettering. Dip the plate into it and right back out and rinse. See what you think. After cleaning try Krylon Clear; it's available in gloss, flat or satin.

rdixiemiller

Lots of the old brass tags had black laquer in the letters. Wipe on the black, the wipe off with a piece of card stock and some blotting paper. Leaves the black down in the stamped letters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks