• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Return from Houston

Desert Rat

Well here's some pics of the return trip. I still have not figured up fuel milage. However, the truck is #14,880 with full tanks and me in it. The trailer is #4,400 empty. So we dropped off over #10,000 pounds of stuff. That's over 5 TONS! Who says women don't save everything??? Just looking at the raw data I'm guesstimating fuel consumption was nearly 9 mpg this return trip.

Ken,

Yep the pinion bearing is in need of replacing. We can see oil drops on the rear door, tires and just about everywhere else. BTW, most 24V in-line fuel pumps will NOT suffice for road use. After some research (and after the installation) this pump gives 35 gallons per hour. The distributor pump demands a little more than double that for highway use. The distributor pump needs to have some fuel to return to the tank or the engine starves for fuel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey DR, start collecting cooking oil! I used biodiesel and cooking oil in a mix with petro diesel for our 840 mile trip to Aberedeen last week and it works beautifully! Up to 30% of plain filtered cooking oil and no problems.
Use the dip stick method to measure fuel in the tank, just a before and after and keep all the receipts.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
At the rate I'm throwing gear oil it might turn into cooked axle oil (well done that is!).

Desert Rat

Here's where I slept just east of Little Rock. The 109 option sure comes in handy! In the second pic y'all can see I was "tired".
The other pics are from the morning I started out of Houston.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DR, good job on the rust proofing! I should have had you take the heat gun with you. I guess we'll be spending some quaility time with the middle axle when you get back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks