• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reuse head gasket if not run yet

I ran in to this one time on a drilling rig when a new gasket was no where a round .
Sprayed some kind of aluminum rust spray paint on both side a couple of layers let it dry and put it back together and torqued it down just a little higher .

I went back a day later and retorqued it .

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did this on a '54 farmall gas/diesel tractor head to re-check the cylinder liner seats .. (while completing the initial torque, things did not feel quite right) .. All I did was spray on an extra coat of perma*** copper coat and torque it back down just a couple more pounds than previously. (these special heads are like no other, are not forgiving, and are prone to cracking) .. After a warmup at idle on the gasoline side of things (did not dare to switch the compression lever over to diesel with it's higher compression), I did a retorque to 5ft# over and have kept my fingers crossed since then .. Been 30 years so far. .. You should be okay as long as you slightly increase the torque when you reassemble it, and later do a retorque as Topo mentioned

V8srfun

Yes you can use the gasket and no additive is needed. I have reused head gaskets in the past for different applications without problem. I would not consider your gasket used as it has only been torqued and has not seen a heat cycle. If you chop to use copper spray it will not hurt but is far from necessary.

rustystud

Yes you can use the gasket and no additive is needed. I have reused head gaskets in the past for different applications without problem. I would not consider your gasket used as it has only been torqued and has not seen a heat cycle. If you chop to use copper spray it will not hurt but is far from necessary.
The problem with reusing a "diesel" engine head gasket is the compression of the "flame ring" or compression ring . It has nothing to do with a heat cycle but the compression of this ring. Just like the "crush sleave" in a Chevy differential, once it is crushed it cannot be recrushed . If you retorque it to a higher torque like others have mentioned though, you should be OK. Also I would definitely use the "copper spray" since most new gaskets come with a sealing coating on them which comes off when the gasket is removed. The copper spray would restore this coating.
In the diesel shops no mechanic would ever reuse a head gasket, ever ! Since this is your own private vehicle and you don't have to worry about "come backs" go ahead and try it.

V8srfun

The problem with reusing a "diesel" engine head gasket is the compression of the "flame ring" or compression ring . It has nothing to do with a heat cycle but the compression of this ring. Just like the "crush sleave" in a Chevy differential, once it is crushed it cannot be recrushed . If you retorque it to a higher torque like others have mentioned though, you should be OK. Also I would definitely use the "copper spray" since most new gaskets come with a sealing coating on them which comes off when the gasket is removed. The copper spray would restore this coating.
In the diesel shops no mechanic would ever reuse a head gasket, ever ! Since this is your own private vehicle and you don't have to worry about "come backs" go ahead and try it.
no shop diesel or not would reuse a head gasket but they are there to make money not save it.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a head gasket was not available, I can see trying to reuse one as some have suggested. It might work and get you going.
If the gasket is readily available, I think money would be well spent to buy the new gasket and use it for the sake of not having to redo it again.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have stated. If it were me I would reuse the gasket (new one not readily avail) . I would spay a coating of Permatex Copper High Temperature Spray-A-Gasket on both sides of the head gasket. I would torque the head down to 5 lbs more than spec to re-seat the flame ring. Should be fine IMHO.

MARK

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way I see it, if you were stuck somewhere and had to re-use it, do it. I have re used head and base gaskets on air cooled and water cooled moto-x bikes a few times and once or twice on 283s and 396. BUT, would it be worth it to reuse it in the position you are in just to have it possibly fail at a not-so-good time in the future.?Memphis has single new style gaskets for $142 each. Is the 50/50 chance worth $142 dollars? It's a bunch of work to do, time is money. If it were me, I'd cuss, swear and be pissed off, but would still just replace it with new.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well too late. Reused it with copper spray, slight increase in torque heads on, valves adjusted, manifolds on. Next step will be the turbo.
I just pulled the batteries for the winter as don't see me finishing this this before spring.
No come backs here but that's not something i want to go through again anytime soon.

rustystud

no shop diesel or not would reuse a head gasket but they are there to make money not save it.
Yes Diesel shops are there to make money, but reusing a head gasket that has already been torqued down is just begging for a "comeback" and that lost money comes out of the shop and ultimately the mechanics pockets. No company is willing to roll those dice for the small cost of a new gasket. Also since most shops make the mechanic who did the work repair it for free and the average head gasket job is over 8 hours, that is a lot of money coming out of that mechanics pocket !

V8srfun

Yes Diesel shops are there to make money, but reusing a head gasket that has already been torqued down is just begging for a "comeback" and that lost money comes out of the shop and ultimately the mechanics pockets. No company is willing to roll those dice for the small cost of a new gasket. Also since most shops make the mechanic who did the work repair it for free and the average head gasket job is over 8 hours, that is a lot of money coming out of that mechanics pocket !
Believe me I understand the shop dynamic as I have been employed by dealerships for basically my whole working career. We will see what happens with the (reused) gasket as the op said he is not replacing it. I believe he will be fine but time will tell. If it was mine I would have reused it but I don’t think I would have increased the torque on the head bolts because higher torque does not always equal more clamping force unless the hardware is upgraded. As a matter of fact in most cases exceeding manufacturer torque spec will reduce clamping force due to hardware fatigue.

rustystud

Believe me I understand the shop dynamic as I have been employed by dealerships for basically my whole working career. We will see what happens with the (reused) gasket as the op said he is not replacing it. I believe he will be fine but time will tell. If it was mine I would have reused it but I don’t think I would have increased the torque on the head bolts because higher torque does not always equal more clamping force unless the hardware is upgraded. As a matter of fact in most cases exceeding manufacturer torque spec will reduce clamping force due to hardware fatigue.
Your a working mechanic then ? What dealerships have you worked at ?
I spent my early years at IHC before they went bankrupt. Then several medium size shops until finally working at the transit department. Forty two years total working as a heavy equipment/truck mechanic.
Should have gone into automobiles !

V8srfun

Your a working mechanic then ? What dealerships have you worked at ?
I spent my early years at IHC before they went bankrupt. Then several medium size shops until finally working at the transit department. Forty two years total working as a heavy equipment/truck mechanic.
Should have gone into automobiles !
started at a Toyota dealership then worked for ford for a few years but spent most of my time with mazda but now I am on the parts side at a Mack/Volvo dealer. They asked me to work in the shop but they are paying me well enough to sell parts that there is no incentive to get my hands dirty.
Car dealerships have their ups and downs for example mazda doesn’t sell any large vehicles so nothing is heavy but there are days that you want to punch the engineers due to space constraints. But car dealerships don’t pay as well as heavy duty truck dealerships so there is a balance there. If I was smart I would have started in the heavy truck dealerships to make more money early on then move to car dealerships later when I wanted the lighter work.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was smart I would have started in the heavy truck dealerships to make more money early on then move to car dealerships later when I wanted the lighter work.
Same here Woodbridge Chrysler Plymouth. Best thing was girlfriend father owned the dealership so the girlfriend got a new loner every month. So yea got to drive all the 70's different Mopar muscle cars. So me glad I started with cars.
Myself on the head gasket I would go with new and hope you are using the newer style with fire ring built into the gasket.

Last edited:

rustystud

started at a Toyota dealership then worked for ford for a few years but spent most of my time with mazda but now I am on the parts side at a Mack/Volvo dealer. They asked me to work in the shop but they are paying me well enough to sell parts that there is no incentive to get my hands dirty.
Car dealerships have their ups and downs for example mazda doesn’t sell any large vehicles so nothing is heavy but there are days that you want to punch the engineers due to space constraints. But car dealerships don’t pay as well as heavy duty truck dealerships so there is a balance there. If I was smart I would have started in the heavy truck dealerships to make more money early on then move to car dealerships later when I wanted the lighter work.
Hey tell me, does Mazda still make a "Rotary" engine car ? I always wanted to buy one. I thought that was one of the most unique engines made in the twentieth century.

V8srfun

Hey tell me, does Mazda still make a "Rotary" engine car ? I always wanted to buy one. I thought that was one of the most unique engines made in the twentieth century.
No they can’t get it to meet modern emission standards. They are unique and I wouldn’t mind owning one to tinker with but they are not fun as a customer car. By the 100k mile warranty most of them have gotten 2 engines replaced and the job sucks as a flat rate technician. They don’t pay well under warranty and you end up hating them for that. The reason they fail is due to carbon buildup on the side seals. When the engine warms up the metal grows and the side seals stick causing the engine to drop compression and stall out. There are also many other little problems like starting issues due to fuel flooding and ignition issues. But if you can put all of its issues aside they are absolutely a blast to drive and it is unlike any other engine in how you treat it. The rotary needs to be run out and driven hard. We tried to explain to the customers that driving them hard and running the rpm’s all the way out is how you can reduce carbon buildup and make the engine last longer.

rustystud

No they can’t get it to meet modern emission standards. They are unique and I wouldn’t mind owning one to tinker with but they are not fun as a customer car. By the 100k mile warranty most of them have gotten 2 engines replaced and the job sucks as a flat rate technician. They don’t pay well under warranty and you end up hating them for that. The reason they fail is due to carbon buildup on the side seals. When the engine warms up the metal grows and the side seals stick causing the engine to drop compression and stall out. There are also many other little problems like starting issues due to fuel flooding and ignition issues. But if you can put all of its issues aside they are absolutely a blast to drive and it is unlike any other engine in how you treat it. The rotary needs to be run out and driven hard. We tried to explain to the customers that driving them hard and running the rpm’s all the way out is how you can reduce carbon buildup and make the engine last longer.
So basically "drive it like you stole it ! " kind of thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks