• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reverse rotation fan size?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the 6.5L reverse rotation fan the same dia. as the 6.2L fan? and it looks like it they both use the same clutch yes?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts manual is not real clear but it looks like the clutch is the same on the A1 and A2 trucks, (V and serpentine belts) but what do they know they call it an "impeller"

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Serp and v+belt fan blades are different
Yep, that is why I asked the question, the reverse rotation blade is the Serp blade, may be a moot point though as I cannot find a viscus fan clutch that will fit the old v belt blade and it looks like the same hydraulic clutch was used on both setups meaning the serp blade has the same bolt pattern, and of course the hydraulic clutch will not fit my fan pulley (Dmax) I have an aftermarket blade coming in today so I will give that a shot, will be one of the easiest things to mod. later if it does not work. I assumed they were the same Dia, I think they use the same shroud but thought I would ask anyway, THANKS!!

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, still doubt I could afford it, and anything they built special to make that work is VERY likely not available AND it is also very unlikely my engine is in the same position as the Alpha, would be awesome though...

Action

Wow, i bet that can move some air!
It will suck paper or cardboard to the hood while it is free spinning. I want to get under it with a blow dryer or heat gun and see if I can get it to lock up. You can't just turn it on like the hydraulic clutch.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will suck paper or cardboard to the hood while it is free spinning. I want to get under it with a blow dryer or heat gun and see if I can get it to lock up. You can't just turn it on like the hydraulic clutch.
Most viscus clutches turn 20-30% of pulley speed when disengaged and 80-90% when engaged, of course with the hydro it's 0 and 100%, considering the cycle times of the hydro clutch on my M998 100% would be unnecessary.
24" would make that fan probably undesirable for my application as I would have to cut it down too much to fit my 20" clearance, but at least one can probably find various fan clutches that it would bolt to, my latest scheme is to try a 21" early Dmax fan which I know will fit my fan clutch, it should move plenty of air, and trimming less than 1/2" should not affect the flow much, my biggest issue is there are two basic sizes of 4 bolt spin on viscus clutches, the larger (M36X2 pilot thread, 3.81 bolt circle) nobody makes a fan under 21" for and most are 23" and larger, the smaller (M30X1.5 pilot thread, 3.25" bolt circle) will not fit my pulley but there are plenty of fans under 21" available, I can find no viscus clutches that fit the A2 fan which has a bolt circle of about 3.5", that gear driven fan is of a different style of fan clutch, 6 bolt and probably a 6" bolt circle while the rest are 4 bolt, but there are several 6 bolt clutches available, of course all I am looking at are spin on clutches while all the HMMWV clutches are bolt on but for the gear driven clutches, GEEZ this is getting thick!!

Last edited:

Action

here is the civy H1 clutch, non-hydraulic....5939545

1615860353313.png

and the fan that goes with it......5939560...this may be a v-belt fan. I am looking at the 1993 H1 book.

1615860448526.png

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what was the 6003064 fan on? never seen one like it on a HMMWV, that looks like it might work only they are discontinued and searches come up with zipo..

Last edited: