• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rims and tires

beerthirty

searched and found a lot of threads on it. After reading a bunch im slightly confused. I havebthev12 bolt rims(non MT/Rs).from what I read I can go from the 16.5 to 17s for the most part. What I'm confused about is

If I get cepeks or black rhinos I can get away from the run flats first off
And the cepeks & rhinos also get rid of the multi bolt tire crap too. Correct?

And the rhino and cepeks still have the weight & beadwork I'd want.correct?

Reason I'm asking is no one around me wants to work on the original tires/rims and no one within 60 miles has a balancer that will fit them.

My plan was to get 5 or 6 rims + tires(1-2 full spares) and it seems switching to either cepek or rhinos 17" makes sense.

I included photos incase I'm mistaken on what I have. I'm fairly moronic when it comes to tires. (Like 110% moronic)

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you buy a different type of rim, then you just go with tires that work with those rims.
You don't HAVE to have any of the military wheel/tire stuff if you don't want to.
With aftermarket rims you do NOT need any run flats, bead locks, bolts on the rim (unless they are made that way) or anything else.

All you need is a standard 8 on 6.5 wheel at least 16" diameter, and enough backspacing that they don't look stupid sticking out from the fenders (8" is stock I believe)

Just look for anything that fits an H1.
Heck, I have a set of H1 steel rims that will take the 16.5 Wrangler MT tires and are single piece and don't require run flats.

EDIT:
The only real advantages of the military rims have to do with being able to work on them yourself at home with basic tools (some other advantages for the serious off road guys, but that's another story). If you don't plan to do that, you can go into just about any major tire store and ask what they have available that will fit.
Also, if you buy Centramatic balancers you don't need to take them if to be balanced ever again, unless they are massively off, but a static balance can get them close enough.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going off what Katavic is asking, you can ONLY use 16.5" tires on 16.5" rims. DO NOT try putting them on any other rim size, as that is dangerous. I doubt you could find a shop willing to do it anyway due to liability. (16.5 is a 16" size, not a 17" anyway, just different bead and seating than what we think of as 16" these days, going back to when vehicles all had tubed tires and the newer tubeless were just entering the market, and needed a different designation to tell them apart)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks