• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadside safety: Stay Alive!

Jeepsinker

This thread is dedicated to preserving the life of our members and their families and friends.
Any and all competent suggestions and procedures to improve personnel safety in the event of a roadside emergency is welcome to be posted here.
PLEASE for the sake of the thread do not argue the merits of any procedures over another, simply post it as an alternative.
I have been nearly killed on several occasions during roadside events, and I do not wish it on anyone else.

So first thing I have to post here is: Access to functional road flares and/ or red electronic flares/ reflectors, and a reflective orange or green vest is a good start.

Jeepsinker

I keep four of these onboard my truck at all times as well. Very useful when towing something you didn't expect to tow with no lights on it. And VERY bright at night on the side of the road. I put three behind my truck and one on the tailgate.
I got mine from Autozone for $20 and they have several different flashing patterns.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being stuck on the shoulder of the road, for whatever reason, is very dangerous. People will blast right by you on the interstate when there is nobody in the left lane to prevent them from getting over. Add the fact that most people are texting or generally not paying attention to what's going on around them.

The reflective vest is a good idea.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After being broke down IN the MIDDLE of road at night, I resolved to get a reflective vest. The triangles worked, but I would have needed 6-8 flares if I only had them, both would be nice to have. Another needed item is a big bright flashlight (not a small pocket light) to direct traffic until the police can arrive. I've got a big 6 volt LED Everready lantern from Walmart. So my additions to your list are:

Cell Phone
List of local truck towing companies along your route
$4-600 cash for tow
Big flashlight to direct traffic. Red or orange flags would be nice for day time traffic control
Triangles and flares (both preferably)

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good thread. Sticky?

In Europe, reflective vests and danger triangles are MANDATORY in all cars and the newer ones work very good. Not only do you need to have them in the car, anybody outside the car has to wear a vest the moment he-she gets out of the car. Not doing so can cost you a nice fine (or your life)

I used a triangle on a forest road during a party at our son's blacksmith shed. Left is the pic without flash, right is same distance but zoomed in and with flash (comparable with oncoming head lights). If you look good, you can see the outline of a forklift half in the ditch, reason why we had to block the road. To prevent remarks, the fork-lift almost rolled over into the ditch during the afternoon while working on cleaning and constructing a internal roof, long before the party started.

2014 12 13 Dan party Blata 086_resize.JPG2014 12 13 Dan party Blata 085_resize.JPG

Even when not mandatory, these are life-saving items that would set you back only a few bucks.

Maybe a magnetic red flashing light (the LED types they use for bicycles) to put on the back of your car is also a good and cheap idea. Let it run if you have to abandon your car. They are almost as effective as your hazard light but don't drain the batteries. Attach it not to the middle but to the side most sticking out on the road at the rear of your car.

Second thought: put a white flashing one in front of your car as well!!! Maybe an oncoming car wants to pass somebody and does not see that there is less room on the left side of the road as expected if only the back of the standing car is highlighted.

These magnetic lights are a bit small, but you get the idea

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Number 1) Make SURE you have gone as far off the road, or into the grass as safely possible. 2) If someone stops to offer assistance, have them back up a couple hundred feet and start warning others earlier. 3) If at ALL possible, WAIT until LEO or Tow company can arrive to set up with warning lights. Most LEOs will be happy to do this. 4) A safety vest and triangles are a must. 5) Try and be aware. I spent years driving tow truck along I-5 in WA, and always tried to watch the oncoming traffic whenever I could sneek a look away from what I was doing.

6) Most important- These machines are just that, machines. Nice yes, but ultimately replaceable. YOU are not. Nothing is worth the hurry to not get the situation as safe as possible before starting any operation. Just my humble opinion after spending several years on the side of the road.

Last edited:

mcmullag

I have seen troopers do this, when on the shoulder of a highway, they put their vehicle at a slight angle like pulling out into traffic kinda stance. Even turning the front wheels hard while it is parked, may slightly signal to drivers that it is not just another vehicle going down the road. Impaired drivers slam into the back of tractor trailers and cop cars parked straight on the shoulder thinking it is a moving vehicle in a lane. Stop where the traffic can see you far away if possible, in other words, don't pull over right after a slight hill on an interstate.

Keith_J

Great points. I see too many stopped for a flat on the shoulder of a 70 mph highway. I don't care how expensive those rims are, your life or three weeks in ICU makes that ghetto bling 21" chrome rim with spinners look like lunch change from a taco shack.

My daily driver has a fuse corrosion issue that can kill the engine at the wrong time. Yesterday, it did just that, dead engine in 65 mph traffic on he interstate. It only did it for a second but had thoughts racing through my mind as to where is the safest spot to coast to...

Guess what I am wrenching today?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have triangles in the truck and tool box, 4 total. Hi-Vis Vest with High Vis Mechanix gloves, a Harbor freight magnetic white LED light that can attach to the back of my truck, and road safe beacons (I can't remember the name) that have a red/amber light setup and can flash various patterns. I also have a couple cheap red pop-flares. LED Surefire flashlight in the med kit too.

Probably one of the smartest things I have is a CB Radio though... if those truckers in Michigan would have had theirs on, they would have known about the huge 115 car pileup before smashing into it. of course, you have to have it on and put up with the bulls**t that some guys broadcast and sometimes make the channel all of unusable, but it is a tool in the toolbox.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to use my executive authority to usurp forum rules for something I want to share with the members. All of these suggestions are spot on and should be followed. My post is more towards 2 safety items I have. The first is available from tractor supply. It's a magnetic LED amber flasher. Gimpy turned me on to these. I have a bunch of them and they are intense and last quite while. Now that my 2 primary MVs have aluminum bodies, they are not that useful.

http://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store/2-function-magnetic-led-amber-safety-light?cm_vc=-10005

The next one and here goes the usurp, are these LED cones. Since I work at a port that has a fuel farm that provides fuel for 17 counties, we can't use fusees. My employer bought something like these. I thought they were corny at first but after the first use, I went searching for them. The link is to overstocks that will likely need new batteries but that's not a biggie. What you get for the money is 4 cones with internal lights, 4 top lights and 4 el cheapo but extremely visible traffic vests. Corny stuff? Maybe but they are extremely visible day and night. I know that the shipping seems ridiculous but its a big heavy box. Combined price is still a steal.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111219483120?nav=SEARCH

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have triangles in the truck and tool box, 4 total. Hi-Vis Vest with High Vis Mechanix gloves, a Harbor freight magnetic white LED light that can attach to the back of my truck, and road safe beacons (I can't remember the name) that have a red/amber light setup and can flash various patterns. I also have a couple cheap red pop-flares. LED Surefire flashlight in the med kit too.

Probably one of the smartest things I have is a CB Radio though... if those truckers in Michigan would have had theirs on, they would have known about the huge 115 car pileup before smashing into it. of course, you have to have it on and put up with the bulls**t that some guys broadcast and sometimes make the channel all of unusable, but it is a tool in the toolbox.
It's been a rough week here in Michigan , the biggest problem is people refusing to slow down when the weather is bad and too many distractions like cell phones. Along with the 115 car pile-up you mentioned on I-94 there was also a 50 car pile-up on US-23 near Ann Arbor and several accidents between Saginaw and Flint which closed I-75 for several hours including a fatal of a pick-up pulling a overloaded dump trailer full of scrap steel . And tuesday night a mini-van rear-ended a semi up near Camp Grayling and was drug 16 miles before police could stop the truck as the driver didn't know they hit him in the white-out conditions ,speed was a factor. Here is a link to that story :
http://www.9and10news.com/story/2778...d-for-16-miles

All trucks should have refective triangles , working fire extinguishers, and a good first-aid kit. I usually carry a couple reflective traffic cones . But no matter what you have the best thing is to have someone with you and have them doing nothing but watching traffic . We have had several lighted Hi-way arrowboards totaled over the years on construction projects ,people just don't pay attention.

Al Harvey

Great safety tips, the biggest thing I'd say is Situational Awareness. Keep you head on a swivel when broke down. Just like someone mentioned about police cars getting rearended WITH their blue lights on, people are still texting, eating, stupid, etc. Keep a watch out and plan you an escape route. Ask yourself, "what am I going to do if that car doesn't get back on the main road?" Keep your eye on traffic and be safe.

Also I just wanted to add this, if you are driving and see a vehicle broke down on the side of the road, move over if you can or at least slow down.
"

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since Gimpy and I just did a roadside recovery I thought I'd interject my thoughts.

Friday after Christmas around rush hour on I75 southbound. Not the best place to be working.

Already mentioned is getting over to the right as far as possible. Shouldn't need to be said but stay on the side of the trucks AWAY from traffic and keep the truck between you and the idiots. Most of the professional drivers move left and we do too so a fast moving Kenworth isn't my biggest worry. That is the 17 or 88 year old that isn't paying attention or talking on a cell phone or worse yet, texting at 80Mph. Keeping the truck between you and them may help because if they hit 10 tons of stationary object it won't be good but maybe you will survive.

Fortunately our recovery was right before dusk and still light out.

I do like the light links provided above.

tim292stro

...Since I work at a port that has a fuel farm that provides fuel for 17 counties, we can't use fusees...
As a fuse replacement, I personnaly like the "Cyalume flare alternative". Not only do they last longer than the typical 15 or 30 minute flares, they are lit along their entire edge/surface. Other bonuses include: it doesn't leak like a flare when stored for a long time, doesn't set your state on fire during a long drought, and doesn't screw up your nose if you happen to catch a breeze down wind from the nasty smoke. They also come with simple wire "kickstands" to get them up off the ground a little and keep them from rolling away. I've also had two occasions since I started carrying them where having some metal wire (the kickstands) came in handy for a MacGyver moment :).

Two good LED flashlights like Maglites with batteries you change annually (can be alternating years for each), will help with thing like waiving down traffic if they don't look like they see you, or doing things in the dark.

If you drive a bigger truck or have space in your ride, reflective traffic cones come in handy in all kinds of cases, and are suprisingly cheap. Personnalize them with stecils from our own Dr. Evil Porkchop and some vinyl paint with either your name or tag number.

Communicating your situation to other drivers is the most important job until you are off the road, if your're unable to get off the road you should have your hazard lights on and be calling 911 to ask for assistance as you are a traffic hazard. Do this while geting your flares, triangles, cones, glow sticks, warning beacon out. Then start looking at your problem.

My 2cents. :beer:

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next one and here goes the usurp, are these LED cones. Since I work at a port that has a fuel farm that provides fuel for 17 counties, we can't use fusees. My employer bought something like these. I thought they were corny at first but after the first use, I went searching for them. The link is to overstocks that will likely need new batteries but that's not a biggie. What you get for the money is 4 cones with internal lights, 4 top lights and 4 el cheapo but extremely visible traffic vests. Corny stuff? Maybe but they are extremely visible day and night. I know that the shipping seems ridiculous but its a big heavy box. Combined price is still a steal.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111219483120?nav=SEARCH
Just ordered a set.

Jeepsinker

I will add that it is inadvisable to wear camouflage rain gear without the use of an accompanying reflective vest during roadside events, especially at night in driving rain. Been there, don't that, felt the mirrors scrape my chest and back. That was retrieving a lost 14.00-20 Goodyear and rim from the middle of a two lane at night in the rain by myself.

donalloy1

Excellent Thread Sir!

Having lost two very close to me. I have very personal attachment to subject!

GET vehicle as far off road as possible.

If you cannot ditch off road. PLEASE stay in vehicle! People are going to fast and not thinking about you!

I know there are situations where my above does not apply. Just PLEASE PLEASE stay off road.

zout

Having been a biker since 1967 some of these reflect to the emergency situation as well.

Always have the ice bags that can be snapped and turn to cold - reason - we helped a biker in 2001 laying on the hot arse hwy in Statesboro Ga after being hit by a pick up truck while the biker lay on the hot hwy asphalt - I was the only one that had ice bags and considered his situation. You could hear his skin sizzle laying on the hwy in Ga in the middle of the summer.
#2 - never ever take a helmet off a biker if you see him hit nor let him take it off or anyone else until the medics arrive.

FULL medical kit as best as you can afford - trauma first thought to hold over open wounds especially.

No and absolutely NO 2 1/2 lb fire extinguisher to carry as you might as well piss on the fire - they are only good for seconds - get a 5 pounder or larger to carry. Realize the big shop size only last 35 seconds folks - enough to evacuate the scene - not to put out a huge blaze that last forever.

LEARN CPR plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will again repeat the best advice on here- Get off the highway, if at all possible!!

If you have a flat, who cares if you destroy the wheel, drive OFF the highway to change it. If there is an exit ramp you can physically get to, take it.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks