• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rod on hood driver side

goatijoe

Can any one tell me what the rod with the hooped end on the drivers side is for. It is located on the top right behind the hood latches and in front of the windshield. I have yet to figure out what purpose it has there.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its to hook a hood latch to when your hood is open. so a gust of wind does not blow the hood down on you. it might be covered in the operators manual TM.

goatijoe

Ok so just the hook hooks on it. I did not see how it would hook anywhere else or if i was missing anything. id hate to see the gust it would take to close it.

197thhhc

Thats a safety item you should use. I have been on the recieving end of a deuce hood blowing closed. Not fun at all. You would be suprized how little wind it takes.

steelandcanvas

Have you downloaded the Technical Manuals from the Resources Tab at the top of the page yet? Take some time and read these to become more familiar with your truck.

dutchguy

Have you downloaded the Technical Manuals from the Resources Tab at the top of the page yet? Take some time and read these to become more familiar with your truck.
Ya know, about the Technical Manuals. I agree 100% that they contain everything that you need to know about our trucks. BUT, with all due respect, there is so much stuff to sift through, sometimes it's impossible to find what you are looking for. It's good advice, and we see it a lot, but can be very frustrating. Some of us are way to quick with "read the TM", and not include hints on which one. :) For instance, I've been searching on and off for about a week to find out what the level of brake fluid should be in the master cylinder. I found where it is, how much it holds, how often I should check it, how to replace it, what kind of fluid it takes, how it works, but nothing like "1/2 inch from the top". I know that it's probably buried somewhere, but can't find it. I'm tempted to just ask in the forum, but am pretty sure I'd hear "read the TM's". There, I feel better.:cookoo:

steelandcanvas

I understand the frustration with finding items in some of the TM's. But I really don't think it's too much to ask if a Newbie has downloaded at least an Operator's Manual for his (new to him) truck. :grin: Dutchguy: I'll try and see if I can't help you find the proper level of brake fluid in the MC. [thumbzup]

goatijoe

Yes that is one of the first things i did was download the manuals. I do not want to sound like a butt. I have a short attention span and memory loss its just plane and simple i can not remember what stuff is unless i have done it a thousand times. It is hard and sometimes confusing to me to read the TM. I know i have not been on here as long as some. If i can not learn from older people now then what am i going to do in years to come when there is no one to ask. I am not bashing any of yall in anyway i would just like to see yall help out the new people on here.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes that is one of the first things i did was download the manuals. I do not want to sound like a butt. I have a short attention span and memory loss its just plane and simple i can not remember what stuff is unless i have done it a thousand times. It is hard and sometimes confusing to me to read the TM. I know i have not been on here as long as some. If i can not learn from older people now then what am i going to do in years to come when there is no one to ask. I am not bashing any of yall in anyway i would just like to see yall help out the new people on here.
Read and make notes, I have stacks of pads with notes on, each pad has a title for the topic of the notes, and I am one of the older members both in age and when joined,

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to find out something new every time I look through the TMs for my trucks. Admittedly, I don't think I've ever read any of them cover to cover, but I have reviewed the -10 operating procedures prior to operating any of my vehicles for the first time. I think it is worthwhile to look at them from time to time even when you don't have a current issue to read about. :driver:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got the answer on the prop. Now, about TMs. The problem is with the multiple series of TMs, especially the 209 series. My first CD had 17 TMs, info overload. Someone new to deuces needs only 2 manuals to start. TM 9-2320-361-10 operators manual and TM 9-2320-361-20 unit maintenance manual. Initially, more manuals will just confuse and demean someone when they come here for answers. I should put a sticky in wjth the TMs but folks would likely ignore it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many trucks have a stenciled under the hood "secure hood when raised" or something like that.

wdbtchr

I actually got TM 9-2320-211-34P before I got my first MV. I knew I wanted a 5 ton but wasn't sure which one I would find first. It turned out I got the M51a2. Then the M54a2 a couple years later. Now I have the 10, 20, and 34P and I frequently use at least two at a time. It's good for me to have an exploded diagram to figure things out. Now if I could just keep the information from leaking out my ear while I'm sleeping.:oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks