• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ross HF-54 conversion question

gentrysgarage

HiYa Guyz,
Got a question for you. I am placing everything in the chassis for the 6BTA Cummins conversion in my M135 and can't quite fit the Ross HF 54 in front of the axle, due to rad/intercooler and the eventual air compressor (that is if I can A get the motor bracket for the Bendix 550 compressor I already have that was out of a BlueBird bus..or B get a single cylinder compressor of a medium duty Ford...that I have the motor bracket for! SMH) so I will be mounting it behind the axle center-line. The M135/211 has a dip in the frame for axle travel also that has to be compensated for.
Enough of the backstory the question I have for the group is how short can I make the drag link be.
And if GoodwithWood is reading this I have had a nagging question as to where you got your "rebuilt" HF-54 that wasn't quite rebuilt right...I am worried mine came from the same place.
Thanks in Advance!
PS No I am not making it for the Ozzie Outback, I just don't have room on the left side of the truck to take a side view to show the frame rail! LOL!sideview.jpg

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey there...jealous about the 6BT!

I got it from eBay. It was cheap, and it showed. I would try a place in Texas, they seemed to know what they were talking about when I called them. But for the life of me I can’t remember their name. They had the word “rebuilders” in their name. I did see some on amazon and other online folks as well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this info helps.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... can’t remember their name. They had the word “rebuilders” in their name
Probably
I also still had this old catalog on file (It's a heavy PDF but does have some good info. See attached).
It is from this other company: https://www.manta.com/d/mxfktpx/steering-rebuilders-truck-parts-inc

.... how short can I make the drag link be
The longer - the better, and try to have both joints at the same (horizontal) level, when straight ahead.
FYR, mine is only 16" long (C-C). Not ideal I know, but still I can't say I ever had any noticeable "bump-steer" effect.

Attachments

Last edited:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably
I also still had this old catalog on file (It's a heavy PDF but does have some good info. See attached).
It is from this other company: https://www.manta.com/d/mxfktpx/steering-rebuilders-truck-parts-inc

The longer - the better, and try to have both joints at the same (horizontal) level, when straight ahead.
FYR, mine is only 16" long (C-C). Not ideal I know, but still I can't say I ever had any noticeable "bump-steer" effect.
That’s them. They had the rebuild kit for my steering box and also had rebuilt ones ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gentrysgarage

Thanks GoodwithWood, Cattlerepairman and Gringeltaube!

I got mine from a VERY small town. I even remember having to google map it as the address was a weird combo of Rural Route and a normal address....I would remember Houston. I might have dodged the bullet on this one...but to be safe I will order a kit to have on hand. Thanks!
Maybe this info helps.
I will review and study the drawings, Thanks

I trust your engineering/intuition and read all of your comments at least 3 times! Plus your truck is up and driving...so real world proof.

I am off to review GoodwithWood, Gringeltaube and 2 other HF54 builds for a few more morsels of understanding ...BEFORE I cut my frame!

It is really going to be a struggle with that frame real estate as I have the HF54 then the SAE2 flywheel/bellhousing adapter and rear motor mounts followed bu the M35 pedals , the M35 pedal support is already gone as the HydroMax booster is too fat to fit. As in the video on the M135 S &M page I might have to go to hanging pedals...but want to keep it looking "original'ish" Motor Pool hot rod'ish as possible...but my hopes are fading. I will post up some mock up pics this weekend (if it isn't raining that is).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks