• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

route clearing trucks

JAsher45

i took these pics the other night on my way to the chow hall. I have walked by them it seems a million times in the last 10 months. they take a lick and keep on ticking. some you will see have some minor damage from IEDs.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What is the black circular thing in the middle fo the rear window in the first picture?

And much thanks for your service to our Country :beer: and for taking the time to post these pics.

JAsher45

the black thing in the middle of the rear window is a gun port... the trucks didn't always have a turret up on top. if you look at the front of the bufalo.. there is a small circular ring at the top of the grill... that is an IR camera. i forgot to put that with the pictures... there is always more there then what meets the eye. thanks for taking the time to take a look. There is no better way to see a MV then when it is in conflict, constantly evolving

M1075

Great pictures! It is good to see that our forces do have some of the right equipment needed for the mission. We probably need 20,000 more! Stay safe and keep those pics rolling in. We love to see them.

Opie

What is the black circular thing in the middle of the rear window in the first picture?
Satellite radio antenna! :D

Ditto on thanks for your service to the rest of us.

I wonder why the exhaust stacks are so tall?

ONTOS66

RE: Re: RE: route clearing trucks

Excellent photos, thanks for the update!

With all the "modern" technology you'll note that the lowly sandbag is still there "up armoring" the vehicles. I did it in Vietnam, my uncle in Korea, my dad in Europe during WW II, and on and on ...

REMEMBER: EYES OPEN, HEAD UP, ASS DOWN .... Come home safe.

JAsher45

the arm off of the front of the buffalo is not so much a crane as it is a finger... on the end it has a probe and a rake for uncovering IED's. and yes it is a massive amount of metal on the front of that thing. and even for how heavy iut is it has a lot of git up and go... cummins power

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe so. I'm working on a system that is similar but for light skinned vehicles. It will defeat incoming RPGs.

J.

rmgill

The RPG either explodes further away, helpful on early designs, not so helpful on very modern RPGs as they have longer effective 'jets'. They can also stop an RPG because the percussion fuse on the front goes between the slats and the slats actually deform the shaped charge and sometimes stop it cold entirely.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Okay, now check this out!

The RPG either explodes further away, helpful on early designs, not so helpful on very modern RPGs as they have longer effective 'jets'. They can also stop an RPG because the percussion fuse on the front goes between the slats and the slats actually deform the shaped charge and sometimes stop it cold entirely.
This is absolutely correct. Well stated.
And, you would not believe how much weight they add to the vehicle! It really slows them down considerably. Effective though! But there is always a trade-off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks