• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running a load of supplies to Houston. XM818

mattgunguy

So as many of us here have big hearts and like to help other in need, my better half decided that we're running a load to Houston.

Year or so ago I put a deuce bed on the truck, so I'm not pulling a big trailer at least. So with barely 2 weeks notice, I've got to get a rig ready for 1400 mile or so trip.

1: the usual PMCS.
2: New wheel cylinder.
3: Oil and fluids change.
4: Get the 6 tons of dirt out the bed.
5: M105 to the city dump and empty.
6: Load the trailer with spares, tools, and whatnot supplies.
7: Load up and pray. 15 Sept.

My wife is great at sourcing donations. The trucks almost loaded with donations. Everything from water and beans, to homeschool books. We're almost to the point of rounding up another truck to go down with us. God is good :)

This is really just a running dialogue to alleviate my own jitters.

Good luck to all, and God bless all who have helped other in their time of need.

m715mike

To both you and your wife, THANK YOU!

Safe travels, Sir!

If you need anything on the north side of Houston, feel free to give me a shout.

-Michael
(936) 672-6943

Wire Fox

I love the effort! Just make sure everything you're bringing down is requested and already has a place, otherwise, you'll unfortunately be burdening the responders on-site with having to figure out what to do with the supplies you bring. Please check out this article to read more about what I'm talking about: https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/08/29/how-help-disaster-survivors-texas Several news agencies also have run similar stories with specific examples of how its gummed up disaster response after numerous incidents.

mattgunguy

Trucks finally getting loaded out now. Collected enough so far to fill the bed about 3/4. Supposed to be picking up more tomorrow and Tuesday. Hopefully that'll finish up. Started getting the trailer ready as well. Spare tires, fuel, food, tools, and parts as I have for the 818. Which is not as much as I'd like. Wish the deuce was up to the trip, as I have dang near a spare deuce in parts. But, I've done what I can. Fresh oil and filter. Topped off my slow leaky rear axle. Serviced the brakes. Added a remote reservoir. Taking plenty of extra fluids with. Dang near every tool I own and a positive attitude. We'll do what we can, the rest is up to God's plan. Leaving Thursday after work. Hope to make Durrant or Sherman, overnight and finish up Friday. Got a Friday afternoon to Saturday morning unload window for having help on hand. Then head home, maybe see some of my wife's family in Waco and my dad in Dallas. Dad and I don't get along well with each other, so I don't know.

Maybe if everything goes well, we could take a load to the south east after this. Looking like they'll need it.

Good wish and prayers are always welcome.

Goodnight all.

mattgunguy

Mostly loaded now. Mostly ended up with homeschool curriculum material. Which is still good.

108 boxes so far and picking up more tonight. Julia is a blessing. I doubt I could have been come up with this crazy thing on my own, let alone put it together.

Attachments

NormB

So as many of us here have big hearts and like to help other in need, my better half decided that we're running a load to Houston.

Year or so ago I put a deuce bed on the truck, so I'm not pulling a big trailer at least. So with barely 2 weeks notice, I've got to get a rig ready for 1400 mile or so trip.

1: the usual PMCS.
2: New wheel cylinder.
3: Oil and fluids change.
4: Get the 6 tons of dirt out the bed.
5: M105 to the city dump and empty.
6: Load the trailer with spares, tools, and whatnot supplies.
7: Load up and pray. 15 Sept.

My wife is great at sourcing donations. The trucks almost loaded with donations. Everything from water and beans, to homeschool books. We're almost to the point of rounding up another truck to go down with us. God is good :)

This is really just a running dialogue to alleviate my own jitters.

Good luck to all, and God bless all who have helped other in their time of need.

You could start a "Gofundme" account.

There's a group "BBQ4LIFE" on fakebook out of Idaho who are running a couple of 26 foot trucks full of food down to Florda. They were hoping to get $4k or something and right now they're at $6500 plus.

Thanks for what you're doing.

Norm

mattgunguy

Made it to Muskogee OK before sanity said stop for the night. Consecutive 20 hour days came a lot easier 15 odd years ago. Trucks been happy so far. Except for the temp gauge or sending unit crapping out finally. The trooper who pulled us over was really nice. First time in my life a officer has shook my hand and said thank you for what your doing.

Good night to all

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prayers outbound from Nashville. Thank you for your service, sacrifice and efforts. They will not go unnoticed by the good Lord. It's efforts like yours that help me remember there is good left in our country. Keep us informed on your progress and if you need any assistance along the way. Blessings!

m715mike

Congrats, Sir! I'll echo TNriverjet; Thank you! Your deeds will not go unnoticed, both here in Houston and by our Lord.

How far north are you headed today?

mattgunguy

Taking the more easterly route. Going up Hwy 59 to Texarkana then up I-49. Stopping in Nacogdoches for the evening. 300 mile day with some heavy manual labor in there. I be beat.

Mike, you gonna make the KAMO rally this year?

m715mike

Taking the more easterly route. Going up Hwy 59 to Texarkana then up I-49. Stopping in Nacogdoches for the evening. 300 mile day with some heavy manual labor in there. I be beat.

Mike, you gonna make the KAMO rally this year?

Matt - I hope you get some rest tonight!

I had every intention of going to the KAMO rally this year. It is earlier in October than usual, which really worked well for my schedule. Then.... my job at work changed and threw a monkey wrench in my plans to attend. If I can make it, it will be a last minute decision. But, it's looking like I will have to miss this year and plan on it for next year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks