• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running electricity through magnesium bed?

signsup

Don't know for sure if magnesium or aluminum bed, no data plates and four wheel drive, four wheel steer and electric start. I've mounted a negative ground headlight on the passenger bed rail at the front using the rail and platform as negative ground and one positive wire coming out of headlight to toggle switch, then direct to positive battery cable. Any issues using the rail and platform bed as the negative ground if it is magnesium? Better safe than sorry.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are magnesium I believe. The bed can be used as a ground for anything we are doing but Mg is not a great conductor. I would use SS fasteners and washers and lube the contact surfaces with copper never seize and don't over tighten. I really want an M274. Had a chance a few years ago for a super nice one but we couldn't come to terms.

Mark

SgtMajHarper

Don't know for sure if magnesium or aluminum bed, no data plates and four wheel drive, four wheel steer and electric start. I've mounted a negative ground headlight on the passenger bed rail at the front using the rail and platform as negative ground and one positive wire coming out of headlight to toggle switch, then direct to positive battery cable. Any issues using the rail and platform bed as the negative ground if it is magnesium? Better safe than sorry.
I'm no electrical genius, but I can usually get a light wired up good enough to pass the smoke test. I have 2 incandescent bulb driving lights mounted on the passenger side of my mule but I also have a separate hot and ground wire coming out of each housing. I just ran a separate ground wire from the battery to the light for a guaranteed ground. I would think you should be able to run a ground wire from your mounting bracket back to your battery also, it's probably a whole 3 feet of wire and it would give you a good ground.

I have heard but, no guarantee that the older model Mules usually with 4 wheel steering, pull starters are probably mag beds and the newer ones with 2 wheel steering and electric start are usually aluminum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks