• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running Hmmwv wheels question

Awol

Hi guys,

So Im in the market for some 16.5" wheels, and seeing how they're hard to find around my way Im looking into picking up a set of HMMWV wheels. I have a few quick questions on them...

1: From what I read, I would need to run spacers. Is this on all 4 wheels, or just the front? What size?

2: Do you need to run the runflats? I'd like to run them, but if I dont need to thats be a way to save some cash.

3: How do you balance them?

4: Know of a good place to pick up a set cheap? I dont care if they are 8,12, or 24 bolts.

Thanks guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to use 37" radials, you do not want the 8 bolt rims.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2" spacers on the front. You don't need them on the rear, but the rear is already narrower than the front, so you choose how you want it to track.

You do not need the run flats.

Balance them like any other wheel.

Awol

I plan on 37's, so I should stick with the 12 or 24 bolts I guess.

So If I picked up some wheels, just make sure the O ring is good, then mount and balance like any other tire? Sound good to me.

I would recommend, getting new O rings... they did run about $5 each on the net... and during installation, ensure O ring stays in groove.... it kinda tricky if your not familar with them... one more note, Now, this isnt required, but will save you alot of time, sweat, and bloody knuckles.... use an impact during assembly... and confirm everything with a torque wrench afterwards... or.. you will be working on them for a while... Especially if you go with 24b's.... As with balancing... you may want to call around, if tire shops there are like most here.... they wont touch em, they say they are too big for their machines...

Last edited:

ryan77

Biggest pain is getting the o ring in! I put them in the freezer to shrink them a little they seem to come a little to big! Then you have to pop the tire out. You probably want to have a tire shop do that or the non recommended way is to use ether but you can hurt your self, blow up the tire or blow a belt.

If you do not use bead locks or the factory run flats, you will need to find an installer that is willing to seat the bead with flame as the rim is much wider than the tire bead. I used pvc bead locks in mine so I could mount everything up myself and inflate them. I reused the o rings after cleaning the grooves and using a light bead of vaseline. I have spacers on the front but not the rear. I may add them later.

Balancing is a pain and out-of-round is common.

MikeView attachment 396374spacers.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

dyocis

If you want to use 37" radials, you do not want the 8 bolt rims.
Doghead, I'm still in the process of rebuilding most of my truck. Just wondering why its not a good idea to use 8 bolts for 37s? I have a set of 8 bolts that have been re-centered and have rock rings already installed. I was planning on putting 37s on when the time came.

The more bolts, the more pressures they can withstand. The old 8 bolts were for the lower pressure bias ply tires. However, I've seen folks use radials on the 8 bolts. Keep the air pressure low if you do. Personally I only run 30-35 psi in my radials.

dyocis

The more bolts, the more pressures they can withstand. The old 8 bolts were for the lower pressure bias ply tires. However, I've seen folks use radials on the 8 bolts. Keep the air pressure low if you do. Personally I only run 30-35 psi in my radials.
I see, so what is the max pressure recommended for the 8 bolts? I have a few different trucks ranging from 33s to 40s and I don't run more than 35psi for any of them. What is the recoomended operating pressure for the 37 in HMMWV tires?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
30psi is what the 8 bolts are rated at. I've seen them ran at higher pressures as well. But again it's what it's rated for. The radials will mount on the 8 bolt wheels. (This is along the lines of placing 395's/14.5's/14.00's on stock deuce wheels, can they mount? Yes. Are they supposed to be? No.)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh and FWIW, I've got 8 bolts on my 1008 as well. Still running the biased ply 36's. But I plan on moving to the radial 37's. (With the 8 bolt wheels)

However, I don't use it to tow. So 30psi should work in my case.

dyocis

patracy, Thanks for the info. I'll take my chances and run the 37s, but keep an eye on them and check the rims regularly for anything fishy going on! I have been looking into getting a remote tire pressure gauge setup to, but am having trouble finding a system that will work with the internal bead locks. Maybe I can grind down the PVC insert a little more to accommodate one of the sets that I have found.

Awol

contact vintageiron. He has some 12bolts for 40 a piece and is located in Mass
Thanks for the info! I sent him a PM.

I'd love to have me a set. I think they are some of the best looking wheels to run on a CUCV

richingalveston

I plan on running 12 bolts with 37 radials on my 1009 (it has D60 front and 14bolt rear axle with 4:56 gears and a 4l80e) I am currently looking at an online vendor who sells them complete. My question is when recentering the rims what is the required back space (I was told 3 inches) in order to not run spacers and what tire presure can the 12 bolts withstand. In my prevous trucks, I run 45 pounds when on the street and drop to 30 if I am off roading for the day.
Is 45 to 50 pounds acceptable for 12 bolts?
I also plan to use Autobalancers, Has anyone used an this type of balacer with HMMWV rims? I would like some feedback on the autobalancer, I have them on a 40ft motorhome and thought they would be perferct for these large tires and off roading. If a little mud gets stuck in the rim, the balancers will fix.

the re center rings will only go so far, giving you the required back spacing... I have recentered H1 12b's, pvc inserts, with 37" military BFG Baja TA's and have them set at 50psi per markings on tire... i run like that on road.. and air down to like 10 offroad... been like over 2 years now... with no issues..... ( knocking on wood...) You should be fine.... as far as auto balancers... if you are refering to something simular to BB's... should be fine as well... I think the recommended weight is like 7oz....

Last edited:

1StumpJumper

One thing to pay attention to with the HMMVW rims is making sure the two halves are centered. Two of the four that I mounted on my 08 had a total of 1/4" runout on the inner piece while the outboard portions were all fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks