• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

running mep-003a on only one fuel pump

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

So I got to play with my mep-003a generator this evening for several hours as we just had a pretty good electrical storm come through and knock out power. Hooked it up, brought the house online and it ran great for about an hour. Genset shut off, and upon investigating, found the dc breaker tripped, and secondary pump to be very warm to the touch and its emf filter hot. Since I wanted to get it back online asap, I just unplugged the power to the pump and fired the genset back up running on only the primary pump. I was at 65% load with no noticeable change in operation and the genset purred along like a well oiled sewing machine. A little while later, power came back on so I shut it down and called it a night. Given that, what are the consequences of running on only one pump versus two? Is it more of a redundancy thing or would I see degradation in performance with a higher load than I was running? Has anyone ever investigated it in more depth?

(I know about the emf filters shorting out which is what I think happened here, but since it is still raining pretty hard, I did not want to mess with it more than I had to at that moment)

Z

Guyfang

Staff member
The set was designed to run on one pump if need be. Not to worry. When you can get a new one, do so. Or cut the emf filter out of the cable, and rehooked up the pump. Sometimes that allows you to continue two pump operation. The turn on your radio and see if you notice the noise.

Chainbreaker

If you do end up replacing it, make sure it is the proper series Facet pump (480517E) which does not have a check valve & allows fuel pass through in the event one of the pumps in series fails, thereby allowing redundancy.

One can find a cheaper pump and it might work in series while its working...however if it is not a direct equivalent spec-wise and it fails it can cause a pass through restriction preventing the other working pump from pulling fuel. Then your dead in the water even though the one proper spec could still function properly had the proper spec redundant "mate pump" been installed.

Best price I have seen for Facet pumps is here

Also, don't be tempted by the identical looking Chinese no-name knockoffs seen on places like eBay for under $100.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks