• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running MEP-OO2A in this blizzard questions

bones1

Calling for a two day blizzard here in Maryland and I was wondering if / how to run the generator if/ when the power goes out. All the wiring is completed and I can trailer the generator to about 20 ft to the outside inlet. Will blowing snow hurt the generator and how do I use the cover on the trailer, leave it open front and rear and close the sides? This gen came on a trailer with the full cover and bows.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generator needs some cross ventilation so the exhaust can go somewhere else, open the ends should be sufficient. MEP002A was meant to be outside, but protected from rain and snow.

justacitizen

put the cover on and leave the ends open. point the trailer so that the blowing snow and rain don't directly blow in the open end. make sure there is enough ventilation between the exhaust and your house so you don't get carbon monoxide in the house. or move it now before the storm hits and open the ends when you loose power. all the rest is the same. have you started it up in the cold before?

Chainbreaker

On my #1 generator up at my house I have the OEM trailer cover and I just roll up the control panel end and the side where the exhaust points out so the exhaust has a direct exit out and also access to the fuel tank. That will leave you with an "L" with the other sides that you can face into the wind/snow. In WINTER you don't need all the sides rolled up for cooling as I doubt the cooling shutters will barely open. If it were me I would position the trailer now and go ahead and hook it up to the inlet box before you get into any drifting snow etc. Then just leave it buttoned up until you need it. However it might be good to start it now just to insure all systems are a GO. Obviously you want to make sure your fuel supply is adequate before the area loses power. Hopefully your genset has winter blend diesel in it (not refilled with summer diesel), if not get anti-gel additives in it now. I always take my fire extinguisher off the trailer and keep it nearby. If you were ever to encounter a fire onboard the trailer you may not be able to get to the fire extinguisher if its attached to trailer.

Last edited:

bones1

Thanks for all the helpful input. It's midnight here now and the power is still on. The generator trailer is in my shop across from the home. I will use my loader to make a road to the home then tow it over if needed. And no I have not started it in winter before. Is there a different process?.

Chainbreaker

Thanks for all the helpful input. It's midnight here now and the power is still on. The generator trailer is in my shop across from the home. I will use my loader to make a road to the home then tow it over if needed. And no I have not started it in winter before. Is there a different process?.
About the only things to remember when its very cold out is: batteries fully charged if not on maintainers, if genset is stored indoors above 32 F drain off some diesel in fuel filters and fuel tank petcock to eliminate any water, switch the air intake over to "cold weather" setting if its expected to be run in single digits F or below weather, when starting prime first then preheat for full 60 seconds and hold start until oil pressure builds about 15 seconds or so. Let it warm up a bit, ~5 min, before switching breaker and applying load.

Last edited:

bones1

Thanks a lot. The power is still on but the wind is really picking up now. Mine has the ASK sheet metal covers so I will try to find the air intake handle. I did find the oil pressure gauge the other day with a flashlight. Will relocate the gauge to the inst. panel I suppose.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Don't be surprised if the little round air intake handle on the slider baffle is stuck, 2 out of three for me were! A lot of times they have been painted over or are just stuck due to friction. You might have to spray it with some WD 40 and tap it with a small hammer assuming you can gain access to it. I think you might also be able to access it from the inside of the air cleaner. Take out the cartridge temporarily to spray the slot the slider travels within from inside with oil to get it to unstick and travel smoothly.

This is what you are looking for:

WP_20160123_002.jpg

Triple Jim

It's not cold enough in MD to be thinking about changing that air intake lever to the cold weather position, although I can understand wanting it to be working properly.

Isaac-1

As Jim said it is never cold enough in MD to move that lever to cold conditions. That lever is for arctic use not just typical snow and ice.

Triple Jim

I don't know about never, Ike... just almost never. I remember a couple mornings when I lived in Bethesda, when I went to go to work and it was below 0°F. One time it was -10 and the starter of my Vega wouldn't spin the engine with the 20W50 oil I had in it until I warmed the block for a while.

justacitizen

over Christmas i was without power for a couple of weeks. the day time temp was above freezing some days and around 17 at night. i ran the whole time with the air cleaner in the winter position on an MEP 002A and average load was probably around 30 percent with a few stints above 100%. didn't experience any problems.

Chainbreaker

I checked the TM and the only reference I could find to using the "Cold Weather" position is mentioned in "Operation in Extreme Cold" conditions which is specified as -25F / -32C. I knew you weren't supposed to use it unless it got very cold, but at those temps and below that is truly arctic conditions as Isaac-1 mentioned above. So yep, there really is no need for most of us in the lower 48 to ever have to mess with it other than to make sure it is set to "Normal" unless you are as compulsive as I am about just wanting to make sure everything works.

Source reference: TM 5-6115-584-12 Operating under unusual conditions 2-8. Operation in Extreme Cold (-25 °F, -32°C) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Pg 2.6

Last edited:

Bill W

With the ASK the exhaust and cooling fan will be venting up, how much clearance between the top of genset and cargo top??

Isaac-1

I recall we had one member here during one of the major storm events in the cool / cold season on the east coast a couple of years ago with a multi-day power outage that was experiencing over heat shutdowns due to the intake lever being in the cold position.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good point Bill. There isn't that much clearance from the top to the tarp ceiling. With the ASK on it, I wouldn't be afraid to run it out in the open rather then melt a hole in my tarp. Blowing snow should be well shielded from it, inside the ASK enclosure - it should be toasty warm & immune to a the few flakies that get through.

Triple Jim

I had forgotten just how cold the manual says it has to be before you need the cold setting of the intake shutter! So Ike, your statement that MD never gets cold enough to need it stands as correct, based on my 50 or so years in MD. Sorry I doubted you. :)

I bet everything has to be just right to get an 002A or 003A started when it's -25°F or colder out.

bones1

That's a good point Bill. There isn't that much clearance from the top to the tarp ceiling. With the ASK on it, I wouldn't be afraid to run it out in the open rather then melt a hole in my tarp. Blowing snow should be well shielded from it, inside the ASK enclosure - it should be toasty warm & immune to a the few flakies that get through.
Sounds good to me. There is a piece of plywood bolted to the top of the bows and the cover is over that. I can see that it has been run from the exhaust soot on the wood with the cover intact. Thanks for all the information guys. I will try to fabricate a weatherproof plexiglass panel/cover hinged at the top for the gauge panel. Don't know why it didn't come with gauge protection anyway. Oh, and it's a 003A not a 002A. Brain freeze.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

For those on the sidelines that may be reading this, the intake bypass is not about getting the generator started at -25F it is about keeping it running, as conventional running at those temperatures can prevent enough compression heat forming to allow combustion, so it recirculates some of the hot exhaust gases back into the engine to keep it warm enough to sustain diesel ignition.

Rapracing

Generator needs some cross ventilation so the exhaust can go somewhere else, open the ends should be sufficient. MEP002A was meant to be outside, but protected from rain and snow.
Mine has been run in the rain and snow. I didn't realize I shouldn't be doing that. Does military keep them covered all the time? My 002 just ran for 13 hours two weeks ago and it rained about half of that time.

They are stored outside but tarped. Should I be doing something more??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks