• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runs only in "Start" Position

m38inmaine

All of a sudden my old reliable 882 won't stay running in the "on" position of the key. It will start and run in the "crank" position but as soon as you release the key to the "run" position it shuts right off. Any help appreciated.

Jericho

never worked one, grab the Wiring diagram and a multi meter , its a power applied problem , you are loseing applied voltage in the run circuit, BUT I am not telling you anything you don't know , Hate wiring problems, always say ill just quickly wire around it, never due have to find the fault, HOURS later , You will figure it out , I have confidence in you, and the weather will be good to work on it !

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this is related to the ballast resistor which is bypassed when you crank. Ohm it out.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Common Chrysler problem of the day. Any parts store has it. If the original is 2 terminal, buy the 4 terminal and instantly you have a spare.
The 2 are independent. Ru12

m38inmaine

My resistor has a top and bottom connection, the plugs are keyed so the top and bottom can't be exchanged. Left side terminals top to bottom 5.3 ohms, right side top to bottom terminals 1.3 ohms, this is with the wiring connectors off. Went to my parts truck and of course it's missing.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was not sure which you had as chrysler had a 2 terminal and 4 terminal ballast resister in the day. Not sure on specs but they are cheap if you want to do just swap.

Good luck!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, maybe the ignition switch in the steering column. Poke around with the voltmeter and see if power is available to the coil with the key in run.

These are pretty simple ignition systems. As NDT suggested, poke around with a voltmeter to see if you're actually getting power in the run position. You could have a faulty ignition switch, or a switch that needs adjusting.

m38inmaine

According to the NAPA site the ohms value of the resistor is 1.2 and 5.0, looks like mine may be ok, will check voltage at the coil next.

Jericho

If you leave the key in the on accy postion does the coil get warm/hot , If you have a condenser , don't know if you do , pull it out of the line of voltage as well .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks