• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust reformer encapsulate... what are you folks using?

Flyingvan911

Sand down the rust as close to clean metal as you can get it. Apply Ospho. The best way to get rid of rust (if it’s really bad) is to cut out the rusty metal and weld new metal in.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll tell you what NOT to do. Sandblast inside the cab. Tried that to clean up rusted floorboards on a M1009. Even though I put tarps over most everything, sand still got into every imaginable crack and crevice and trickled down forever.

Needle scale the bad spots followed by wire wheel followed by cold galvanizing spray paint is my new technique for cab interiors.

ramdough

I just used A Rustoleum product that comes in a spray bottle the other day ate all the rust off to bare metal. It washes off then used a rust reformer paint from them.
How well do the rustoleum products at Home Depot work? The inside washer plates on the fuel tank brackets are flaky rust. The frame and body are good, just random bits that are munched up with rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01GRANDER

Here, for example...
I never knew about Ospho until I bought my Hmmwv and the guy I bought it from mentioned it. Mine didn't have a ton of rust but some but i have to say, it is amazing. I wish I knew about it when I had my old 4runner. I bought my gallon at Ace as well, I was lucky they had the larger size at a fair price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks