• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust removal?

res0wc18

So guys what do you use to stop the rust by either removing or converting it?

I have used SEM self etching primer?

What is the best stuff that can be used as like a primer? I want to take the truck to a paint shop after i clean it up.

Is there things like this that offer the olive drab colors like od green and od black?

Has anyone ever tried the pressure washer add on that turns it into a sand blaster?

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have one of the sand blaster pressure washer deals and like it, but I would be very hesitant to use it on an assembled truck. it works pretty well, but makes a huge mess. unless you have access to every surface of whatever you are working on you will end up leaving some wet sand stuck to the truck somewhere.

res0wc18

BFR-

Gran Torino was a great movie...

Good point about the wet sand everywhere. Where did you get yours from and what do you use for abrasive material?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
mine came from northern tool. I used sand that came in bags at a local builder's supply. (I don't recall if it was "special" I just asked for sand and used what they had

tsmall07

is there any company that makes the rust killing or rust proofing paint in a flat/ olive drab black or green variants?

All of the rust treatments I know of are undercoatings/primers that need to be painted for color. You could potentially tint a rustproofing primer to resemble the color you want, but it won't be very cheap or worth it, in my opinion.

I'm planning on hitting the rust spots on my truck with a wire wheel and treating with POR-15

Last edited:

emr

POR is touchy stuff, any oils deep in the metal will make it peel off in time, it never comes off skin until u grow new skin, u have to use there solvent only, nothing else will cut it, it has a short shelf life, and is very hard to work with if one wants to do something different later, i have used it a bunch over the years, in my opinion there is noting better the rustoleum rusty metal primer, its oil base if there is any deep oils in the metal like axles have where most por peels first rustoleum will do just fine, since its an oil base it wont bother it at all, its durable and makes a great primer, can be brushed or sprayed and can be thinned easier also to use, alot more user friendly, and easier to get also. I have had trailer frames rustoleumed for 10 plus years out side that i went right over the rust and toip coated with rustoleum top coat. they still look good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks