• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rusty toolbox

Aernan

After some rain my toolbox is now wet inside. I did notice that it is rusting quite a bit. I see in the top left hand corner there is a small vent hole. Has anyone tackled this repair yet?

Duckworthe

I cleaned mine out really good and repainted the inside. I found that the door seal was worn out on mine and that was where my water got in. I also just left my bottom steel with no mat. I want to see it and not let the moisture hide.

Aernan

I remember on some car seeing a drain that looked like a funnel mad out of rubber with a pinch point. If I can figure out who makes them I will add one to make the box drain.

Aernan

Duck bill drain
yeah that's it exactly! Thanks.

I was also thinking about enlarging and replacing the hole with a "pressure compensating device"
something like
https://www.stego.de/en/products/ac...evices/pressure-compensation-device-ip66ip68/

We use them on our products to normalize the air pressure but not let water in/out.

Maybe when I build the camper on the box I'll run a spare air line to the toolbox to force any built up water out of the "duck bill valve". I have heard that positive pressure on all boxes is a good idea when fording.

Duckworthe

Unicat uses air in there storage compartments to keep water out of them. There is a you tube video where they talk about it. I used to pressure test compartments on Navy ships, testing for water tight integrity. Most would be very surprised at how little pressure you need. Just volume required. A ships compartment that is 10 foot x 10 foot x 8 foot can't exceed 8 psi (by maintenance instruction), or you risk blowing out bulkhead fittings, buckle the bulkheads (walls), and or buckle the water tight doors. So it wouldn't take much to do these storage compartments. Just need to control the pressure and allow for a vent. Our compressors will have the volume capacity I'm sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks