• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RV AC system on m1009?

hotcorner216

My buddy is upgrading the roof ac system he has on his conversion van and asked if I wanted the older unit for my m1009 since he knows how hot it can be when we hit the desert trails in late spring/early fall....anyways wondering if I could make this work? My m1009 is converted to 12V and I'm only currently running 1 battery but for a free ac system that won't be hanging out of my window I don't mind buying another battery or 2 to make it work if need be...I don't need the cab to be ice cold, I'd just be running it on low if I have to, to reduce draw...I just need enough to keep the front potion of the cab, mainly driver and front passenger cooler than the 100+ degree so cal desert. My cab is already insulated on the floor and doors with thick rubber mats and sound deadened and I'd probably install this on the front cab and paint it camo to make it blend better...I'm not sure of the btu and size but I know it's a one of the smallest units they make for the conversion vans.

anyone one run an ac system like this? What would I need to make it work?
Thanks

(PS I know there's aftermarket AC systems for our trucks, I can live with the heat for the $800+ Tag since this is my off road rig, but for almost free/low cost, if I can get this to work, I will)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even a small one would keep you cool but most of the ones I have seen use 120VAC and not 12VDC. You didn't mention what voltage it is.

cucvrus

Very Funny. What TM do I look at for this AC conversion? And that would make an awesome write up. A step by step on how to install a roof mounted A/C unit on a M1009 CUCV. Hee Haw. There must be a thread that covered this modification. OK here we go.

Step 1.) Convert entire system to 12 volt.
Step 2.) Install electric Fuel pump.(covered later)
Step 3.) Remind my self why am I doing this conversion? So I am cool in the desert.
Step 4.) Install class 3 receiver and hitch carrier.
Step 5.) Install Yanmar diesel 120V generator on hitch carrier. Hook up to electric fuel pump and 12 volt electric for quick starts.
Step 6.) Cut hole in fibergalss roof of M1009 and install RV A/C unit.(if fiberglass was roof was removed) Skip this see 6A.
Step 6A) Hack thru both steel layers of the cab roof and install RV A/C unit. Sweet.
Step 7.) Wire up entire A/C system to run off rear mounted Yanmar diesel generator.
Step 8.) Entire project and conversion looks poorly and over engineered. Scrap design and start over.
Step 9.) Buy after market A/C unit at $800. it is a steal and the vehicle still looks good and functions well.
Step 10.) I may have missed a few points but you get the point. Don't do it. ;)

Skinny

You could probably just buy a civy Blazer with functioning A/C (may even luck out and get a 6.2 model) for less than that will cost. But hey go for it! I like to carry a generator with me at all times...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks