• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-250 Camper

birddog1148

Well I guess I may as well start a thread. I have been watching and casually bidding on S-250 shelters for a couple years with no success. Last summer I decided I needed a M1101 trailer and after not winning an auction I found one on FB marketplace around Cleveland Oh. Got that sitting on Dodge rims and smaller tires and a raised pintle hitch on the Jeep Gladiator. Well I got serious and finally won a S-250 this week and now I need to pick it up. Paid for it this morning since the wire transfer fee at my bank was almost the same as the CC fee I just used my card. The RV conversion I envision is going to be fairly spartan. I need to put a couple dog crates in the front and a bed on top of that. I have some boat portholes I plan to use for windows. I have a mobile HF radio and will also get an UHF/VHF radio for it as well. Some solar panels on the roof and some LED lights. Gonna need steps at some point. Possibly an awning on the side since the cooking will be done outside. The shelter I believe was a TOW missile repair structure so there are not a lot of extra ventilation holes in it. Pictures showed it to be relatively clean and un damaged. It looks to have a small heater in the top left corner when viewed from the front that I may investigate using or replace with a diesel heater since I am familiar with those. My trailer and the shelter are Tan and the Gladiator is Sarge Green so they should look good together. Gladiator is a Max Tow package with a 7650# towing capacity. I'll post pictures and updates as I go, first big step is to pick it up.

birddog1148

So this is my trailer. Playing around with measurements and there is going to be potentially wasted space in front and back of the wheel wells. I think in the front I can put a couple boat hatch covers, one on each side. Also have some portholes for windows. Will want a rack on the top for the scanoe as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
The boat hatches were something my father used back in 196-70 for just those spaces. The camper had lots more storage space that way. They had windows, and you could see what was in there. It worked real well. Its were he kept the extra beer and scotch. Good thing to know when your 17 years old.

Third From Texas

The hatch covers I am thinking of putting on the sides of the trailer
One thing you might look into is the spacing of the frame member studs. I don't know what the centers are on the S250 but if you can avoid having to cut into the frame members you preserve the structural integrity of the box. I downsized my fridge vent/access panel a bit so I wouldn't have to hack into the internal frame.

birddog1148

One thing you might look into is the spacing of the frame member studs. I don't know what the centers are on the S250 but if you can avoid having to cut into the frame members you preserve the structural integrity of the box. I downsized my fridge vent/access panel a bit so I wouldn't have to hack into the internal frame.
The hatch covers will go in the sides of the trailer in front of the wheel well to access the lost space. I intend to miss the frame members in the shelter when I put the porthole windows in. Thanks for the advice 👍

birddog1148

Chambersburg lot is sure nothing fancy, not even a sign. I was third in line. Went 40 miles out of my way after a gas stop and getting on 76 West instead of East. Long long day but I am home. Door latch seems frozen in the open position so freeing that up will be the first order of business. After more pictures but before I clean it up.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks