• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-280 Shelter Built ( actually AN/GRM-86X ) with M720 Dolly as a Travel Trailer

Overdrive

Here we go!

I am calling my HSTRU build complete so moving on to the next project.

I am putting the M1102 & S250 shelter build on hold (kid likes it for a playhouse) while I move to my newly acquired AN/GRM-86X Electrical Equipment Maintenance Shelter and M720 Dolly set. Basically it has the same dimensions and characteristics as the S-280 other than the old style door latches which are brackets rather than roller/lock. I believe it was built around 1974.

Dolly is your standard M720. Shelter weighted in at 1640lb.

Tech Note:
You can install an M720 onto a shelter by yourself with a floor jack on a concrete surface if the shelter is sitting on blocks to clear the jack ;)
Shelter_rebuild_004.jpg

This build isn't going to be super fancy, ultra high speed like the HSTRU. Instead its purpose is for a remote camping setup to be left on my remote property in AZ so I don't have to trek across the country with a trailer to go camping once a year. Based on that it needs to be sealed up well with no holes and able to stand up to the elements and the ever persistent rodents of AZ.

Basic built-in components will be 110v and 12v electrical with 30 amp 110v RV service plug, two group 29 12v batteries, and solar for main power. Haven't decided whether or not to add a water system but I am leaning towards yes. Also adding hybrid air conditioning as well as propane furnace.

There will not be any fancy beds or cabinets made but rather using what I already have for Overland gear sitting around the workshop. Right now, I am looking at using bunk bed cots and a surplus medical cabinet that has storage and two small aluminum tables. Since I am into HAM radio now I will be including a radio setup and possibly some antenna mounts.

Current Activity:
1. Patching up two holes in the shelter skin with aluminum patches with rivets.
2. Replacing damaged rivets and inspecting for weather tightness.
3. Removing badly applied latex paint slapped over mildew.
4. Cleaning interior of all mold and mildew so it can be caulked and painted.
5. Remove and replace all 3 side hand holds (mangled) - DONE
6. Register dolly as a trailer - DONE
7. Clean, sand, and paint old rusty door hinges to see if they are salvageable.

Gotcha's or Lessons Learned:
1. Dolly vertical brackets are not lined up for M720, 5.75" too high so have to remove rusted out old brackets and replace with new in different position.
2. All three skids on the shelter are rotted steel and falling apart so they will have to be replaced.
3. A couple of holes under shelter will need to be filled and patched (lost a couple of fights with a forklift at some point).
4. Door latch mechanism mount bolts are stripped.

Here is the shelter in GL yard before I picked it up.
florida_007.jpgflorida_008.jpg

In transit (buddy who donated transport and time standing on the light tower)
shelter_rebuild_001.jpg

After removing the brushed on battleship grey latex paint using non-toxic citrus stripper.
Shelter_rebuild_002.jpgShelter_rebuild_003.jpg

More progress and pics to follow.

Hopefully someone will find this build useful...

Cheers!
OD

Overdrive

Replaced all three hand holds with new. Looks bigger in the pic but perfect match. Rivet holes lined up exactly.

Shelter_rebuild_005.jpg

Hard to make out data plate will clean it up a little better and keep it attached to the shelter for posterity.
Shelter_rebuild_006.jpg

The most rusted dolly bracket removed. Luckily very little to no aluminum damage/corrosion on the shelter where it mated with the steel bracket.
Shelter_rebuild_007.jpg

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to set up some kind of ventilation that is rodent proof to take care of
condensate build up on the interior. These shelters will sweat and you will end up with
a lot of water in the bottom if left for prolonged periods. If you have a floor drain make sure
you rodent proof it.

Overdrive

Firefox, Thanks for the info! Plan includes exactly what you mentioned. Shelter sat for years in a high humidity environment sealed up which resulted in all the mildew on the inside. plan is to have screened vents on either end open when not in use but protect from weather and rodents.

I may use the front vent, with some type of screen over the blackout vents for mice, and a 12v fan with three speed settings. Thought is, I can connect the fan to the Load on my solar charge controller which gives it power when charging batteries and not drain down the batteries. Don't want to keep the big door vent open so I could use one of the 3" holes where the power ports were with a metal screen to act as the 2nd vent. with both vents open during storage, even if the fan fails, it should provide ventilation for condensation. Good thing is northern AZ is very dry but definitely have to address it.

Front vent - maybe make smaller little hold open bracket for storage and screen for little creatures
florida_004.jpg

Have had good success over the years with the Dri-Z-Air crystals in stored travel trailers so plan to use that as well. Everything stored in shelter will be in sealed containers and off the floor as well.

Thanks!
OD

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks