• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S788/HMMWV camper

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a thread going on the HMMWV mods page but thought I should check in here.
I have a M998/Duramax conversion that I just mounted a stripped S788 shelter to and plan to convert into a camper.
I have some of what I want worked out but I need some sort of windows in the sides and rear.
I do plan on having all 4 corners covered by cameras but being able to actually see out would be nice, nothing big is really needed but I want it to look "right" so no crap ass RV windows apply!
IMG_20220201_125006068_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220201_125211972_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220201_125142024_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220127_165923035.jpg
I think the walls are about 2" thick

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the same thing bullit cameras and microphones in all 4 corner vents but with a tv in all 4 corners of the box with the cameras and microphone all plumbed to them so its like having a open window in that corner of the box . Or you could just run all your cameras to 1 big tv to help not get claustrophobic but not have any glass to get broke out. And put a few pop out vents like on big truck sleepers for fresh air when you want it !

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the same thing bullit cameras and microphones in all 4 corner vents but with a tv in all 4 corners of the box with the cameras and microphone all plumbed to them so its like having a open window in that corner of the box . Or you could just run all your cameras to 1 big tv to help not get claustrophobic but not have any glass to get broke out. And put a few pop out vents like on big truck sleepers for fresh air when you want it !
Do you have any detailed pics of the cameras? I am thinking of building/installing a roof rack which will contain lighting etc. I have several of these I would like to incorporate in the design with at least two forward with 24V 500W landing lights installed in them
ligt.jpg
The idea would be to remove the yokes and incorporate them directly into the rack.
I am somewhat old school and am not a big fan of the LED, even though they are so much "better"

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Additional plans are to build a rack on the front of the shelter for a MEP831A, of course a "window" AC and the truck AC condenser hiding the window unit and condenser behind an expanded aluminum cage.
In TX AC is a MUST!!
Also I am a HAM so it will have antennas out the WAZOO, hopefully including a 10M mast

coachgeo

same intentions in mine. Chucky is there a discussion on what camera's you used in your thread on your rig?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple more picks from my drive today, this is all just trial fitting of the top, doors and shelter, now I get to tear it all apart again for final fitting.
IMG_20220205_134505472_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220205_134533890_HDR.jpg
After I get it all figured out, not set on any plan yet for the B pillar to shelter seal, don't think the pool noodles would last too long..

coachgeo

A couple more picks from my drive today, this is all just trial fitting of the top, doors and shelter, now I get to tear it all apart again for final fitting.
View attachment 857995

After I get it all figured out, not set on any plan yet for the B pillar to shelter seal, don't think the pool noodles would last too long..
why would you go from a Mog to a Hummer? just curious

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
why would you go from a Mog to a Hummer? just curious
Just something different, I have had many Unimogs including a 1250, I drove a 404 in the 1995 Four Wheeler magazine top truck competition (had a 2.8L with dual carbs and 18" Gama Goat wheels/tires), I actually have a 404 with a hard cab, both a radio box and a standard bed, it also has a 5 cyl turbo diesel conversion (done right with the custom cast/machined in Germany bell housing etc.) sitting in my shop. I might get back to it someday.
They are without a doubt the most capable off road machines on the planet bar none.

coachgeo

Just something different, I have had many Unimogs including a 1250, I drove a 404 in the 1995 Four Wheeler magazine top truck competition (had a 2.8L with dual carbs and 18" Gama Goat wheels/tires), I actually have a 404 with a hard cab, both a radio box and a standard bed, it also has a 5 cyl turbo diesel conversion (done right with the custom cast/machined in Germany bell housing etc.) sitting in my shop. I might get back to it someday.
They are without a doubt the most capable off road machines on the planet bar none.
had a proper Deitric OM617 404 Mog for a while too. still miss her. This thing called going bankrupt made it disappear

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I took the DuraVee out for another test run after stuffing a few more holes full of "stuff" and took it across the scales.
Originally before the roof, shelter and supplemental armor doors it weighed

Steer Axle 3060
Drive Axle 2360
Total 5420

Now
Steer Axle 3100
Drive Axle 3440
Total 6540

For a gain of 1120LB.

Edit That is still 660Lb less than then my "Detroit" with the helmet top!

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
did you put those items on the inside of vent door so that they were only used when one opened the vent, and protected when closed?
No the camera/microphones are in the little factory vents on the top side of the box front and back both sides ! The vents were just the vents i used on the back doors to vent the camper and i put one over each seats in the cab to make it so much cooler in the cab going down the road .

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No the camera/microphones are in the little factory vents on the top side of the box front and back both sides ! The vents were just the vents i used on the back doors to vent the camper and i put one over each seats in the cab to make it so much cooler in the cab going down the road .
I just ordered something almost exactly the same to vent the Detroit (the name of my M998 helmet top) plan on putting two up front and two towards the rear of the top.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_1946.PNGIMG_1946.PNGIMG_1945.PNGIMG_1946.PNG

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered something almost exactly the same to vent the Detroit (the name of my M998 helmet top) plan on putting two up front and two towards the rear of the top.
I love them they make it bearable on hot sticky days and they flip both ways so the 2 in the rear to exaust and the 2 front to scoop air going foward

Action

Here is driverside closeout panel. I have armor, so i cant get it exactly in place. There is a cutout for cables and such to pass through. The piece in my pic may have extra holes on top right.
.1644268873268.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks