• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sagging door of doom

Rrent

Drivers door is sagging. Are the hinges easily adjusted, or should I plan on new hinges? Or new pins? Or..? And how much work? I’m guessing it would be easier with the fender removed, but would rather not.1BA5C004-1C26-48E1-9EF1-0250515EF2A0.jpeg

Rrent

In regards to removing the fender to repair the hinges: if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right...

Just my 2cents
I hear you. Been doing this (car thing) 5 plus decades. I’ve never once walk back to my tool box to get the correct sized wrench (after guessing wrong) without saying to myself “lazy man always finds the easy way”…

CMPPhil

Hi

Check the door latch, on the civilian version there is a problem when the little plastic tube around the latch post fails it makes the door act like it is out of alignment, there is a relatively simple fix easier than the hinge. There is a restoration video that explains the issue, which I'll look for, will post if I find it.

Cheers Phil

LT67

To be on the safe side, get new hinges. The doors on my 86 m1008 are being swapped today and the existing driver's side hinges were just worn out. I just bought new hinges and painted them.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Drivers door is sagging. Are the hinges easily adjusted, or should I plan on new hinges? Or new pins? Or..? And how much work? I’m guessing it would be easier with the fender removed, but would rather not.View attachment 844052
I spotted a post yesterday by cucvrus about door hinges. Link to his info is below.
NAPA is a source for hinge pins and the parts were surprisingly reasonable.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a hold of your door while open and lift it up and down. If you have a lot of movement then you probably have worn out bushings around your pins. Buy replacement pins that come with bushings. Remove the doors, you will need to cut the door pins because from the factory they come with a crimp on the bottom of the pin. A grinder with a cutting wheel is a good choice. Two people helps. I don't think you have to remove the fenders if you replace the hinges. Replace the pins and adjust the doors upon re assembly. Check your door strike as there is considerable room for adjustment by loosening the bolt and sliding the door strike in or out. Not a bad job

nyoffroad

Replace the pins and bushings, do NOT replace the whole hinges unless you know what your doing! Lots of room to never get get them adjusted right again. On the top hinge there is a PIA bolt that goes from the inside out, not sure if you have to remove the parking brake assy. or not, I just don't remember. As long as the bushing holes are not ovaled out new pins and bushings are easy.

cucvrus

Replace the pins and bushings, do NOT replace the whole hinges unless you know what your doing! Lots of room to never get get them adjusted right again. On the top hinge there is a PIA bolt that goes from the inside out, not sure if you have to remove the parking brake assy. or not, I just don't remember. As long as the bushing holes are not ovaled out new pins and bushings are easy.
I agree 100% DO NOT remove the fenders and the hinges are fine. It is the bushings that are worn. That simple. No grinder needed to remove the pins. Carefully drive them up while they are attached to the door. If you are a good door adjuster then by all means remove the door. Other wise have a helper and just drive the pins out and replace the bushings. Grease them really good and adjust the striker so the door pops open properly and latches smoothly. I have not completed my hinge bushing replacement yet but will be doing it tomorrow, The hinge pins and bushings that NAPA has listed for the 1984 K 5 Blazer are incorrect. No problem. I have the genuine GM door bushings. I never replaced the pins. Just the bushings. The bronze bushing go on the to side and the bottom side of the hinge. I will get a picture of the part number and GM bushings. Take Care and Good Luck.

cucvrus

Most times it is the top hinge that has the bad bushings. If the bottom bushings are tight there is no use in changing them. These top ones are scrap and worn out. DSCF8077.JPG I use a hammer to hit the pin upward. DSCF8078.JPGI actually use 2 hammers the one to stay aligned on the lower pin shaft. and hit it with another. DSCF8079.JPG I use a fork or a needle nose vise gripes and drive the pin all the way out by putting it under the head of the pin. DSCF8080.JPG DSCF8081.JPG Clean out any remnants of the old bushings and make sure the hinge holes are still semi round. DSCF8082.JPG Tap in a new bushing from the top DSCF8083.JPGand one from the bottom. DSCF8084.JPG DSCF8085.JPG I use a clamp to secure the hinge to the truck. If the pin hits the lower flange of the hinge it will spread it open. No worries. It is easily closed again. I used up my 10 pictures on the installation and will post the part number on the next post. I found that the Genuine GM ones are sturdier and hold up better then the imports. Good Luck. It is easy. I have changed the top ones without removing the door. It takes a good helper. these doors were off and I wanted to give you an example.DSCF8086.JPG

cucvrus

This was a full bag of 20 bushings. Enough to last a lifetime for most people. I changed many many door bushings over the years. DSCF8087.JPG
Some of these bushings in this picture are imports that I accumulated over the years. If they don't break they will work fine. I just found that they seem to be more difficult to get seated and in place. they are a bit more fragile at times. But like I said I have used them and had success. the GM ones are a lot more flexible and forgiving less brittle. Good Luck.

Jeepadict

CUCVRUS nailed it again! Accurate on all accounts. Follow that and you can't go wrong.

In my youth I had a driver door with many more miles than I did. If a guy went to the trouble to remove both pins and therefore the door, I was able to source replacement spring bars since a lack of lubrication will cause a groove to be worn rendering them useless. A buzz from a MIG and flap wheel can also net the same result.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks