• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sagging tire, can it be saved?

armytruck63

Guys,
I searched for this but couldn't find anything... I have a 9.00-20 wheel and tire that came off the spare tire carrier of a six-ton shop trailer. The tire has lots of tread left and no weathering or sun damage that I can see, but it is deformed from hanging at zero PSI on the spare tire mount for some time and sagging under its own weight.

Before I go to the trouble of disassembling the tire and wheel and putting in a new inner tube and flap, I was wondering, can this tire be saved? Will it be permanentally deformed? Is it safe to use a tire such as this?

I will try to take a picture and post it, but maybe my description of the tire is good enough.

Thanks,
Matt

papercu

Is it still deformed after you put air in it? If it is, it will be that way with a new inner tube. Even if you get it aired back up it wouldn't be the same size as a tire next to on a rear axle and would wear that tire out faster too. I wouldn't use it on the front axle either and check the date code. Wayne

GoHot229

Try airing it up, if it leaks it will probably be heard there as you are airing. If so a tube is in order, so dismoint it and install the tube and flap, removing all debree inside the tire caseing and re-assemble, air and there you have a decent spare like papercu says it may not be the same diameter or it might still be..... you will know soon enough. Another thing you can do is look up BUILD DATES FOR TIRES on the web to find out how old this tire is and use it acordingly.

serv

I would put a new tube and flap in it, remount it, then install it on the truck and take it out for a run in an attempt to straighten it back out. Bias/nylon ply tires are more prone to settle like you're describing than radials.

hoopsoft

I drove a truck 500 miles with one of the duals flat, the tire was in good shape, but oddly formed after the journey, it sat for months when I got it home, and I changed the tube, it was fine.

armytruck63

Thanks everyone. I'll try to air up the tire. Even if it leaks as is, if I can get it to 50 PSI I should be able to see if it returns to its original shape.

If the tire remains deformed, I won't use it. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Thanks,
Matt

54reo

Be very sure that the locking ring is fully seated prior to putting any air in the tire!

If the tire is without any air pressure, it is possible for the ring to become unseated. If so, the ring/rim/tire assembly will come apart catastrophically when air pressure is applied.

100dollarman

Thanks everyone. I'll try to air up the tire. Even if it leaks as is, if I can get it to 50 PSI I should be able to see if it returns to its original shape.

If the tire remains deformed, I won't use it. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Thanks,
Matt

Is that wheel/tire the same as a Deuce? If so, and you decide not to use the deformed one, come up to the shop and I'll give you one.

I think it will be fine, though.

2Deuces wild

Air it up slowly. Check that the split ring is seated right before. flying split rims can ruin your whole day and then some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks