• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Salvaging a knock-off light switch

ACTVWRRNT

I purchased a new light switch from what I thought was a reputable source. It fizzled on the first use....generating a small puff of smoke and the telltale smell of electrical things gone bad. I opened it up and found a metallic strip style fusible link, instead of the thermal breaker. It was melted. I was able to determine my 1992 M998 had a short in the chassis harness, among other serious electrical issues, and I ended up replacing the harness. It was original and really looked its age. After replacing the harness, and all of the lights, I needed to install a switch. I didn't want to trash the switch with the fusible link, so I improvised. I unsoldered the link and removed it. I drilled two holes in the body of the switch and fed the ends of the power feed wires through the holes. These wires were previously soldered to the fusible link. I purchased a 12 amp round circuit breaker with 1/4" spade fittings. These breakers are commonly found on aircraft. I attached female 1/4" spade fittings to the wire ends, then attached the breaker. I re-installed the switch. It works perfectly, and I have circuit protection that I can reset in the event of an overload.

Attachments