• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saved one! 1975 M880

Greasy

Just saved a 1975 M880 from the scrapper! :-D On a trailer heading to an undignified end. Borrowed battery, some fresh gas, fingers crossed......SHE RUNS!!!! Has some carb issues. Complete interior only missing the black out swich and horn button. Exterior is only missing the pintle hitch. Still wearing military paint! Standard non gloss green with strange shade of orange-ish camouflage. Hope to post pictures soon.

dc3coyote

good save. Now post some pics "orange camo"???
Is this your first MV? I know I love my m880 Its going to get rebuilt and repainted when I get home "thanks Kenny for the truck".
Branan

Greasy

Thanks Bob H. The 6th vin digit is 6. Must be a 1976. Title and registration show 1975 (all # match trk), at least thats good for me living in California NO SMOG!!!! Data plate is stamped 9 or 10 1975. Will confirm tomorrow when I take pictures. Truck is currently not at my house. Hope to bring her home soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of Dodges, someone called me the other day in reference to a running M886 that can be had for just over scrap price I'm told. It's in Dayton OH. I'm waiting on a callback.

Attachments

M880 GC

Good luck and good find.

Looks like it might have been a hunter's rig, camo seat cover and a CB?

Might want to take a very close and careful exam of the wiring at the ammeter connections for signs of heat and corrosion, also at the firewall where the engine wiring harness and body harness meet, there are 2 as I remember spade connections that are full power for the cab and circuits, subject to heat and corrosion = bad stuff for your wiring, worth the time to peak at it.

I'm finding out how tough my M880 can be, pretty awesome for a 318, not tire smoking power, just get it done power, with a payload.

Greasy

Keep the advice flowing! Not familiar with the M880.

Thanks M880 GC for the advice on the electrical connections. I will check soon.

Checked carb. Full of rust? Plastic tank? Cleaned carb. It idles! Was worried about the timing chain.

Going to grease front wheel bearings this weekend.

M880 GC

I went thru a couple of pumps on the way to my cure that has worked for several hundred miles, a filter before and after the pump, previously posted. I believe that sediment was on my check valves in the pump and it would loose prime and not start.

Timing chain replaced on my M880, within skill level of a good shade tree tech. Made a HUGE improvement in idle quality, also previously posted. Takes patience if you haven't done one before, it was my first chain, but done lots of other stuff much worse KDP on a 12V Cummins comes to mind.

Timing chains and pump problems are PITA but possibly nothing compared to a burned up wiring harness might be, also previously posted by many here.

I have yet to have any drive train issues, lots of experience here, good luck.

Greasy

As soon as I saw the rust in the carb I thought of your post about the fuel pump M880 GC. Thanks for the advice. Cleaning the carb made an 80% improvement. I'm not getting a steady idle (serges) in netural/park, better in gear. Now i'm back to the timing chain issue again.

Would dielectric grease in the wire harness connections help?

On the passanger exhaust manifold there is a heat riser valve. Is there a spring attached to it? Mine just spins around. Slight exhaust leak on that side also. Need to pull the pipe down and take a look.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one where the fine rust particles got lodged in the idle circuit somewhere, ( I suspect anyway)
I rebuilt that carb 3 times, still had the idle stumble/surge problem.
Put a new carb on and it was the end of that issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks