• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw One for Sale This Week

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted these over in the MV Spotted thread, but thought you would enjoy seeing them here too. I have no idea of the model, but it appears to have been modified to a crew cab configuration!

IMG_2807.jpgIMG_2808.jpg
Sorry for the quality. I was illegally parked in the local utility company lot and across the street in a bad part of town (Knoxville). Also dealing with a fence... It is for sale, but the writing on the sign was faded badly. I believe I saw $15K price though :eek:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to tell from the pictures if it's original, but it looks like a stock crew cab. Doka in Mog terminology.

Cheers

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, I had no clue there was a crew configuration. If I read the price correctly, is $15K in the ballpark for what this is worth? I was not impressed with condition, but couldn't really tell much from this side of the fence.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original 404 doka's are a fairly rare beast, low production numbers, and they are desirable, so it's one of those "you gotta pay to play" scenarios.
From what I see in your picture, I wouldn't say $15k would be out of the question, depending on running condition being good. Looks like the original winch bumper, but not the PTO winch.
That said, I haven't been keeping track of prices lately, but don't see why they would be getting cheaper. ;)

Single cabs are, of course, considerably cheaper in the same condition.

Cheers

Doka = dopplekabine or double cabine

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M813rc is right, hard to tell from the picture about the cab. However, the top of the windshield may not have the attachment stalks for the folding cab frame. Every nation but the Swiss trucks had those. There's something poking up on the trucks right side, but in wrong place(?). If the top of the windshield is slick, it's a Swiss, and therefore no DOKAs were original. It would be home made (probably is anyway). Decent job on fabricating the bed (definitely not original).

Only a close inspection would say if the DOKA is original, if so, high bucks. If not, IMHO that hurts the price that it has been modified significantly.

TNriverjet, would you want to reveal the location? I get to K'town occasionally and would be happy to inspect (but not needing another 404!)

Bob

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, I'm thinking German (as in - anyone but Swiss) because of the bumper, turn signals, fenders, and bed all being German style. But anything is possible...

Clarification on the windshield items mentioned by tennmogger. The Swiss cab top is removable, but the frame doesn't fold, you have to lift the whole thing off. It bolts to square tabs welded on the top of the windshield corners.

On everyone else's 404's, the top folds back. There are ball posts mounted on the top of the windshield corners, the frame clamps onto them. The frame and canvas fold up accordion-style.

You can put a German top on a Swiss Mog, but have to swap out windshields too. It's an easy enough task, it is held on by two hinges that just unscrew (the big round things near the base of the windshield).

Other quick recognition features between Swiss and German are-
Front turn signals - Swiss are all white, German are amber/white;
Front bumper - Swiss do not have the holes for blackout lights, they use a single large light mounted on the front left corner;
Swiss bed is unique to them. It is not a drop side;
Rear wheel fenders - Swiss has them, German does not.

There are numerous other differences. One other quick thing to check is on the drivers side, under the hood, if the electrical panel has breakers, it is Swiss. All others have fuses.

Cheers

PS - hopefully the pictures don't shrink below usable size for the details. You should be able to see a few mentioned differences between the doka and my Swiss truck.
The rear view mirror on my windshield is something I added, it's off my old Tahoe! :)
I also added the German shoulder harness bar (looks like a black roll bar, but it isn't), so my kids could be more safely strapped in. They are not not stock on Swiss trucks, and only some later German trucks had them retrofitted.

Attachments

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy my photos were really lacking. I'm so sorry. I really wish I'd have spent a bit more time and effort to get some better shots. I'll know next time. Thanks you guys for all the input here!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks