• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SBC conversion and other issues

ehuppert

So, below are issues i'm starting to work through.....

Steering:
Hydroboost was laying in bed of vehicle for apx 5 years. Power steering pump that came with vehicle has old style flare seat, vs. oring stle fitting. Already bought the correct hose for a non-hydro system. guessing i need a mid 80's ps pump? Had originally thought i could use the 6.2 pump, but brackets are nowhere near close. My 82 C30 i was able to modify the bracket slightly and get it to work with the SBC, this bracket is entirely different.

Brakes:
Truck came with a vacuum booster which i'll install as soon as i get the wiring cleaned up.

Wiring:

Started taking out non-essential wiring. Truck will never be a diesel again, don't need flopping wires all over the place. Last owner had "scotch-loked" the starter solenoid wire near the starter relay. HEI ignition power lead was direct to the fuse box. Think there was 4 fusible links hooked direct to the battery (instead of going to the starter) Obviosuly the last individual who wired this was lacking! // Does anyone have wiring diagrams, 1 for civvy, one for CUCV?//

Interior:

Knew the seat was torn in the CUCV from pictures, but didn't know the chunky driver had busted most of the support springs. Was originally going to swap seats with my 1T (hmm, correct color!) but can't really cover the CUCV seat and switch it.

Also looking for a dash pad. Once again, the one in my 1t is inperfect shape, so could switch, but, one in the CUCV is totally trashed. Looking for something cheap i can throw in the 82 so i can sell. Doesn't have to be perfect, just better than what i have, and cheap!

Tires: 1 new, two near shot, one wasted. Looking at going with 285/75/16's. Springs are good, no sag whatsover. From what i've read these should work? Looking for the taller tire for rpm drop. Realize it's only 150-200 rpms, but better than nothing.

Cheers, Eric

ehuppert

Am assuming the convertor was switched as a diesel convertor was sitting on the cab floor. Am having a "issue" with the trans, so may put the TCI towing convertor in if i have to yank the trans. Had put one in my 1t dually (4.10's) and it seemed to work pretty well. And, still have a selection of governor weights/springs. Trick is to use finishing nails as the weight keepers, squish the ends flat with vise grips! Weights can be lightened on a bench grinder also

Issue is, no gears, forward or reverse. Changed the fluid and filter yesterday, checked linkage etc etc. Some goop in the pan, but no clutch particles. Truck has been sitting for five years and was not driven or run after the motor was put in. (coolant lines never hooked up) conversion was never finished when the municipality had it. Somewhat unlikely that the shop would put a motor in if trans was bad. Fluid was somewhat low and did have some moisture as the trans dip tube wasn't properly installed. Wondering if something in the valve body is hung up? Or, did they not fully seat the convertor and waste the pump?

Have a friend (fellow drag racer) that is a GM mechanic and can rebuild the trans for cheap if needed. Probably check line pressure this weekend...

Eric

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks