• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scoping out a Trailer

Opie

Although I have no rational NEED for a trailer, I've been scoping out an M332 ammo trailer sitting in the back lot of a machine shop here in town. (I COULD put dirt/gravel/cinder blocks inside the van body, but...no, I won't.)

Besides taking it out for a test drive, what sorts of problem areas should I look for in military trailers? How does one go about guessing what to offer when the GL prices run from $60 to $300 for trailers rated the same GL condition code and private market prices run $250 to $450? I don't expect to go long distances or require a cover, so while the M105 trailers are lighter, they seem to demand a higher price (and I haven't seen any locally).

By the way - Don't let the Mrs. know I'm still mulling this over!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
332s are smaller and generally cheaper. They might be a better deal for other reasons though. I seem to recall them having a lower deck and many tie down points too. I would think a nice one shoud run about $250 or so. Much more than that and it's out of the market price. Does VA require inspections? The M332 doesn't have fenders and I'll bet some states will require them.

Opie

It appears that if plated as an antique (25+ model years old) and it isn't a "daily dragger" that the inspection and fenders wouldn't be required in Virginia.

Elwenil

VA does require trailer inspections on trailers over a certain length and weight. Basically if it's big enough to haul something, I think you have to do the inspection deal. Last I heard on the fender deal was that VA required it on new ones, but I don't know if they would make you retrofit fenders on an old one. Also sometimes you can get away with the fact that it's military, and they may leave you alone simply because no one knows really what to do about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks