• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scrap yard woes (**RANT**) - what's your advice?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I located two M35 in a truck scrap yard close to me late last year. They are the Canadian licence built versions. They are rough...dash ripped out, fender missing, one bed missing etc.
BUT they do have some parts I would like to salvage as nice upgrades to my truck, especially the power steering setup, 10 in wide combat wheels and steel hard top, as well as the 1/8 in steel "platforms" that close the gap between bumper and fender so you can stand on it/store stuff on it.

I just went back there. Trucks still sitting where I last saw them. When I talked to the yard owner, the usual scrap yard miracle happened - worthless sh** is suddenly gold. He even did one better: He will not sell me anything off these trucks, but I can buy the whole truck for CDN$ 4500 (3500 USD).

I was hopping mad. Why should I make his ease of selling the truck (I guess no one has been interested in parts for at least a year or so) MY problem? He figures that if I remove the steering components, then nobody will buy the whole truck. As if!
I don't need the hassle of all the work of hauling the rolling wreck to my place, stripping it, getting rid of the remains and then selling the stuff I don't need. For example the 8.2 Detroit "Fuel Miser" with key hard to source components missing (oil cooler specific to this engine; military removed), the Allison tranny or the axles.

Sure..SOMEONE may want the axles. Not a lot of truck building going on around here. I have watched a set of M135 axles for sale for close to six months now.

Perusing Al Gore's interweb, I can buy the wheels I want with adapter plates and brand new 385"s and a fiberglass hard top for less money. There is always Waterloo's power steering kit.

Anyhow. Rant over. Still mad at the *ssh**e. What's your take?

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Sometimes it’s better to pull parts, walk up to counter and when they ask what’d it come off of and play stupid saying “ I don’t know, found it laying on the ground and though it’d be cool on the wall” or “I don’t know but I think with some work It will fit my application”

They usually respond with a low price and I walk out with something worth several hundred for $50 or less. May or may not always be applicable for other folks

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good avice. Pulling parts ahead of time is not an option there. You can go look (no tools, they make sure), then tell them what you want.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is how it works in the scrap business. Someone here once said "someone could scrap the first Harley Davidson ever made and they would cut it up regardless". Best not to even think about all the great things that have been cut up.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've shown the seller your frustration, you may have already lost the battle. Sellers often percieve frustration as desperation (if the a prospect is willing to get mad about the price, he must really want the item) so the seller digs in even harder on the price. You might be better off by being everything the seller isn't... be polite, be diplomatic and even downright helpful. You've given us some fantastic information in your OP, maybe share that perspective with the seller... let him know you're aware that it's been picked over. Be specific in nomenclature and market price of a few parts that are already gone, and a few parts that remain. Touch on the logistics you'd face in getting rid of of what remains if you bought the item in it's entirety... and do this all in an accomodating, non-authoritarian tone. Kindly let him know what you'd be willing to pay for the specific parts you want, or the hulks as they are. Give him a card with your name and number, and subtly let him know your not in a hurry, it's not the end of the world to you if you don't get what he has. But, also subtly convince him that a sale to you would be easy because you'd be accessible if he were to call, and you'd be responsive if he met your price. Thank him for his time, wish him a good day, then leave it alone and let it play out in whatever way it's going to.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I was my sweetest self..very understanding...and then walked away. I steamed in the car on the way home! :)

I landed on doing what you said...make sure the guy has my number, in case he changes his mind and just let it play out, whichever way it plays out.

It is just a shame to have these truck sit and rot away.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, scrap dealers are the worst. I worked for one and if he couldn't get retail or more, it sat at the yard.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winches for example... worth $1500 retail. I'd happily give $500 each and sit on them while finding buyers. The scrapper wants the $1500 for them or he'd rather cut them up for the $85 scrap metal price than take my $500....

It's kind of an odd mindset. "I'm in the scrap metal business, not the truck part business."

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winches for example... worth $1500 retail. I'd happily give $500 each and sit on them while finding buyers. The scrapper wants the $1500 for them or he'd rather cut them up for the $85 scrap metal price than take my $500....

It's kind of an odd mindset. "I'm in the scrap metal business, not the truck part business."
Here in Michigan the scrap dealers can't sell parts without a separate license for dismantling them and a whole bunch of different rules.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Difference is, they can just let the parts sit.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the yard and the trucks , that yard is packed with stuff for a reason, all his prices are like a phone number, try Glen in Carlton Place , he has a few ML's there and may sell the bits you want, don't expect anyone to sell the wheels out from under a truck, they do pop up on kijiji plus they are on the trailers , do some looking , also get on the Facebook page for Canadian Military Vehicles,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks