• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seal & Boot Failure Again

Heavysteven

So after finding oil in the wheel well I dicided it was time to investigate. After all I had just replaced all the seal and boots in my front axle in the spring. I went through everything cleaned greased and inspected. So I thought it might have been the wheel cylinder. Tried to just remove the brake drum nope its froze to the hub. I was wrong the inner axle seal is leaking again and the boot ripped. Frustrating

Questions - Where does the inner boot clamp bolt go? On top do i need to cut the excess threads?

Any one ever had an axle checked for scoring. If scored can it be fixed or should i replace?

I think to fix the problem for now i am going to low the oil level in the axle to 3/4" from the fill hole and put some stop leak in.

FYI: I am not happy with the quality of the "new star silicone boots". Going to try and find a OEM zipper replacment.

Oh yeah and to add to it my brake pedal spring broke off. Well, at least i can tear a hub down and back in 30 minutes flat.

Attachments

Ronbo

I wish you were near Chattanooga , I'd come help ya , get my hands dirty and learn something.. Good luck with the repair and keep posting pictures , I'm sure I'll be in the same position someday..

jasonjc

The clamp bolt goes to about the 2-3 o'clock per the fig's . The note says the top.?. Step 9 say to bend the screws to prevent loosening, but this would also keep the screw from treaing the boot.

The inner axle seal retainer needs to be sealed.

I have used the black New Star boots, with no problems at all. They have been on for 3-4 years, on 3 or 4 trucks. but thats just my .02

Heavysteven

Thanks Jason that explains the torn boot. I put it the wrong location and did not bend.

Can you go into more detail about the inner axle seal retainer?

jasonjc

Inside the axle houing is a steel piece that holds the iner seal. You have to remove that to replace the seal. When reinstalling it you need to use rtv or the sealant of your choice, to seal it to the axle housing. I have pic,but they are on my broken computer:(

Heavysteven

Ok, I need to use a sealant.

A 20 ton bottle jack is holding up the axle.

Yeah, Acehigh I installed the inter clamps wrong causing the rip. That's my bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks