• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Search primer

nk14zp

On the left click advanced search.
Now type in your key word.
Now select what forum to search.
Hit search now.
Hope this helps people find what they are looking for easier.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't know I needed to apply primer before searching.

Seriously, I've been hacking away at using the search function for a few years now. Compared to Googling the web, the search results on this forum do not come anywhere close.

Is it because the thread titles do not correspond with the content?

Rick

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you like google, you can use it to search this site.

Lets say I want to look for "isolated ground" that everyone talks about in the CUCV forum.

I go to google and type in:

isolated ground site:steelsoldiers.com

Just make sure you add the "site:steelsoldiers.com" to your search.

Google spends millions of dollors perfecting thier search engine.

The software package that this site uses for searchs does not spend that kind of money and if they did then SS wouldn't be able to afford the "new and improved" software.

Yes the SS search feature is limited, but is what we got.

And yes it helps when the user inputs a meaningful title.......:rant:

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog,

Thanks for the tip. I did not know about directing Google to search a specific site. I hope I can remember this tip when I need it!

I'd click on the "give Thanks" icon but it has gone missing for the past hour.....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Seriously, I've been hacking away at using the search function for a few years now. Compared to Googling the web, the search results on this forum do not come anywhere close.

Is it because the thread titles do not correspond with the content?

Rick
No, I just think the search engine or mechanism here sucks. The google search is far better (for as little as I've used it)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually a hacker named Johnny Long has written two books on using Google to hack sites. Not necessarily in a bad way but to use the information that Google collects and the tools they provide to use their search engine to look for almost anything that has been indexed.

I love the site: search. Another good one is looking specific file types, you know, like looking for any TMs that are PDFs anywhere on the Internet.

You know how sometimes you have to provide info in order to download or look at a file? If you can do a little tweaking with Google sometimes you can figure out where they keep their files and just bypass all the crud and go straight to the files you want without telling the website anything.

I'm currently in a 4-month long course on how to break into websites. It's my job.

;-)

sw

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To update the Google FU for everyone............

Common Google Hacking Searches using Google's interface

Say you want every thread with tires in it:
intitle:tires site:steelsoldiers.com

Say you know that what you are looking for is a PDF file on the site:
filetype:pdf site:steelsoldiers.com

But you only want PDF files with M939 in them:
filetype:pdf site:steelsoldiers.com m939

Say you want specific text inside the thread:
allintext:duece site:steelsoldiers.com

The last one returns every thread that has Deuce in (spelled correctly) and maybe you want to narrow it down a little:
allintext:deuce brake lines site:steelsoldiers.com

I have the two Google hacking books sitting right in front of me if there are any questions. Some searches combine well and others not so much.

This is also the kind of stuff you use in doing recon on a website and you can search for password files on the Internet (yes, some people have them up) and even spreadsheets that have Social Security numbers in them.

donalloy1

If you like google, you can use it to search this site.

Lets say I want to look for "isolated ground" that everyone talks about in the CUCV forum.

I go to google and type in:

isolated ground site:steelsoldiers.com

Just make sure you add the "site:steelsoldiers.com" to your search.

Google spends millions of dollors perfecting thier search engine.

The software package that this site uses for searchs does not spend that kind of money and if they did then SS wouldn't be able to afford the "new and improved" software.

Yes the SS search feature is limited, but is what we got.

And yes it helps when the user inputs a meaningful title.......:rant:
Outstanding search tip! Will put to work now. Thanks for support, DMLII sends respectfully

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks