• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Second deuce part deux

teletech

So, almost exactly a year ago I won a bid for a M109 on Govplanet. After almost 9 months they still hadn't gotten the rad cert filed but I finally managed to get a refund. So, I decided to start looking locally. I saw some listings but nothing with a price/condition ratio I was happy with.
Then Cl came through, a vague, picture-less ad for an M-35 and a grumpy initial phone call "Do you want to look at a deuce, or do you want to buy a deuce?" did result in my visiting a yard out in the middle of nowhere.

The result:
MIND
BLOWN
!

It wasn't just several to choose from, it was something like 50! It was thrown together so there was really no order to it and I wandered lost in the yard for hours it seemed. I firmly believe he had every variant of M44 series truck produced before about 1980. I saw LBW,RWB,SWB trucks, wreckers, shop trucks, cargo, water tankers, pole setters, fire trucks... gassers, multis, and a couple Caddys in there too.
He told me he personally logged over 100000 miles recovering them all!
I'll be posting a big spread on this find soon, well, as soon as I get a couple recovered for myself! :)

Anyway, I wandered around gibbering for a while and was having no luck choosing until I took a close look at a water-purification truck. One of the more expensive trucks in the yard but it seemed to answer all the things I didn't like about the M109, and was low miles, air-shift and W/W! I gather that body is stupidly heavy but has a wide back door, a side man-door, and one side opens out into a porch, very nifty camper potential.
Nothing has moved for years and it's self-serve so I'm scheduling to go back with batteries and diesel.

Anybody have any sage advice about one of these monsters?

Oh... and wish me luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks