• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seek wisdom on the better vehicle to convert to a camping rig..

RRaulston

I have been researching LMTVs (MTV) and found a very nice M925. If all I want to do is put a box on the back and go offroad camping, do either of the trucks have a large advantage over the other?? Both vehicles have dual rear axles. What about doing a 1k mile trip? Expense of operation? Is the turbo Cat better than the NA Cummins? Thanks...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obviously you know the 925 is not an LMTV, The big difference between the two is the number of years of their age. The 939 series trucks (925) run diesel engines the early ones all ran 855 series Cummins very easy to work on and extremely reliable and parts are generally very easy to get. One change I would plan on making is if you get a truck with Duals on the rear I would certainly single the truck out, for your purpose the duals are not needed and can make snow and mud all that much MORE challenging. The mileage on the 939 series trucks with the 855 will generally be in the 5 mpg range at 1900 RPM 55 to 60 mph. I would also stay away from the turbocharged version and especially the CTIS although good in theory it greatly increases the number of failure points and parts can be tricky to find and when you do your going to be paying for them. I have been running 855 series engines for 30 years and have never been disappointed in their capabilities or life span. You can generally expect a top end around 800K miles and an inframe overhaul as you get closer to the million mark. The 939 series of course is an automatic and the engine makes 250 hp, which in all cases is enough but loaded hill are going to be slow.
The LMTV I believe are also very good trucks but you are going to want to ask some folks in the know more than I how the documentation is getting out to people and where are things with all the computer issues that plagued them a couple years ago, if all that is worked out and WE can now effectively support them then I would say that a good candidate also!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our forums are full of those with problems with 900- and LMTV- series trucks, mostly electrical.

The old 800-series rigs have no such hassles, use the venerable Cummins 250, and are of age to easily get historic vehicle tags and insurance.

Simple, robust, and reliable.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simplicity get a 934. Has the expanded box already on it.
934 box weighs a lot and because the sides fold down and up to become the floor and roof, mounting items to make best use of the space is near impossible. If you design it to operate when opened, it sucks when closed. If you design it to operate when closed, it's a waste of space when opened...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

;)

ramdough

Just throwing out 2cents…..

I got an m1083 because I wanted to be comfortable when driving. The older trucks are simple and somewhat bomb proof, but I decided they would be louder, and less comfortable to ride in. The newer cab can fit real seats, is air ride, and seals up easier for noise control. Mine has been really solid so far mechanically.

It all comes down to your trade offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Also, be careful shopping for expanding vans. A reliable source told me they are often rotten from leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
have heard that too. If there are any holes in the skin... was told to be very wary since the older ones are a good bit stick built.

Them being stick built is another issue to consider. Though I dont know if only the expando part is stick and rest is strong structural metal.... or if it is all stick. (light wood structure) Point is if there is not a strong structural box involved.... add that to the fact of tin foil cab...... now consider putting your family in such a weak structure that is moving down the road with missiles flying by you (other cars/trucks and 18wheelers) or a topple over on its side while offroad????? the results of that and the harm it brings them is on YOU.

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
934 box weighs a lot and because the sides fold down and up to become the floor and roof, mounting items to make best use of the space is near impossible. If you design it to operate when opened, it sucks when closed. If you design it to operate when closed, it's a waste of space when opened...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

;)
Not with the layout I design! I'll make an updated rendering and post it here. And pretty much makes full use of the space.
Another option would be the other expando van that has open sides with chains around them. Make the middle a sealed camper and the sides can be double patios! And you can add a sliding door on either side leading to each porch
M447
M749
M750
I don't know of any of these for sale but I do know of an m934 for salem447 van trailer.pngvan trailer open.png

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not with the layout I design! I'll make an updated rendering and post it here. And pretty much makes full use of the space.
Another option would be the other expando van that has open sides with chains around them. Make the middle a sealed camper and the sides can be double patios! And you can add a sliding door on either side leading to each porch
M447
M749
M750
I don't know of any of these for sale but I do know of an m934 for saleView attachment 884680View attachment 884681
Viola!
IMG_20221120_194041.jpgIMG_20221120_194051.jpgside steel structure detailIMG_20221120_193243.jpgwirefframeIMG_20221120_194140.jpgfolded view, front side on leftIMG_20221120_194230.jpgexpended view, bathroom door can close just the bathroom or open and lock into a second position giving you more room to change your clothes. small cabinet to the right of the rear entry door is where the existing electrical control panel is on the truck and that will be storing all the solar batteries and equipment. IMG_20221120_194442.jpgisometric cut away closedIMG_20221120_194317.jpgisiometric cutaway open, murphy bed side folding, office desk with desk suitcasey folded upIMG_20221120_194513.jpgkitchen and dinette sleepers that slide outIMG_20221120_194534.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

Viola!
side steel structure detailwirefframefolded view, front side on leftView attachment 884709expended view, bathroom door can close just the bathroom or open and lock into a second position giving you more room to change your clothes. small cabinet to the right of the rear entry door is where the existing electrical control panel is on the truck and that will be storing all the solar batteries and equipment. isometric cut away closedView attachment 884711isiometric cutaway open, much bed side folding, office desk with desk suitcasey folded upView attachment 884712kitchen and dinette sleepers that slide outView attachment 884713
judging by the drawings..... the bed opposite the dinette is a sideways Murphy bed?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Viola!
View attachment 884705View attachment 884706side steel structure detailView attachment 884707wirefframeView attachment 884708folded view, front side on leftView attachment 884709expended view, bathroom door can close just the bathroom or open and lock into a second position giving you more room to change your clothes. small cabinet to the right of the rear entry door is where the existing electrical control panel is on the truck and that will be storing all the solar batteries and equipment. View attachment 884710isometric cut away closedView attachment 884711isiometric cutaway open, murphy bed side folding, office desk with desk suitcasey folded upView attachment 884712kitchen and dinette sleepers that slide outView attachment 884713
If anybody's interested I saw that Eastern surplus has one of these boxes removed from an M934
https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/2128/Expansible-Expandable-Van-Body-5-Ton. If you do consider buying one inspect it thoroughly in the following areas for rust
Where the roof folds over on the sides and is riveted, if there was debris laying there and it got wet it may have rested holes through all over the place.
The edges of the drip rail on top and underneath.
When you expand the sides and before you open the roof and floor inspect the edges underneath near the roof.
Open the heater and air conditioner access hatches and inspect for rust on the structure areas inside there.
Look for water stains on the wall panels, using a Philips screwdriver remove the screws and remove the wall panel and inspect for rust and dampness behind the fiberglass insulation.
Actuate all the moving components to check for correct actuation and out of square.
This can't be stressed enough Make sure you carefully follow the opening and closing instructions completely or you will damage the front and back folding end walls and/or the side roof panels.
Mine had previous damage from people not knowing how to set it up properly and doing things in the wrong order.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anybody's interested I saw that Eastern surplus has one of these boxes removed from an M934
https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/2128/Expansible-Expandable-Van-Body-5-Ton. If you do consider buying one inspect it thoroughly in the following areas for rust
Where the roof folds over on the sides and is riveted, if there was debris laying there and it got wet it may have rested holes through all over the place.
The edges of the drip rail on top and underneath.
When you expand the sides and before you open the roof and floor inspect the edges underneath near the roof.
Open the heater and air conditioner access hatches and inspect for rust on the structure areas inside there.
Look for water stains on the wall panels, using a Philips screwdriver remove the screws and remove the wall panel and inspect for rust and dampness behind the fiberglass insulation.
Actuate all the moving components to check for correct actuation and out of square.
This can't be stressed enough Make sure you carefully follow the opening and closing instructions completely or you will damage the front and back folding end walls and/or the side roof panels.
Mine had previous damage from people not knowing how to set it up properly and doing things in the wrong order.
Yeah, one thing about Eastern Supply, if they show an item and it says, "call for price", that means they don't have any in stock.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It can also mean the asking price has more digits than the phone number.
Yeah, I thought that too. But, after calling a couple different times about a price, the last girl I spoke with there said that if it says, “Call for price”, that means it not is stock at that time. That’s when I suggested to have it say, “out of stock”, so no one waste their time and yours by calling for no reason.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Yeah, I thought that too. But, after calling a couple different times about a price, the last girl I spoke with there said that if it says, “Call for price”, that means it not is stock at that time. That’s when I suggested to have it say, “out of stock”, so no one waste their time and yours by calling for no reason.
well catch 22 on that..... if no one is calling..... then they don't have a clue on demand. Understanding demand dictates how hard or not they go about getting it in stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks