• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Self Inflicted 6.2 runaway....

91W350

The local parts store was short an air cleaner the other day when I changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filters on my three CUCVs. Today I picked it up and my son had watched me rinse the foam out filter in solvent and then blow it out with an air hose. Apparently he was not nearly as thorough at blowing out the solvent. I jumped in to take the dogs for their daily run and fired it up, she was humming about 2,000 rpm I would guess. I did the quick stomp of the foot feet a couple of times, then shut her off. Much to my amazement it was a slow rundown. I popped the hood to look for the obvious, then it dawned on me! She was running on solvent from the air filter. I have rinsed those several times and reused them with no issues, lesson learned... Thankfully we have no damages... I was in the what the H..... mode for a few seconds there! Glen

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great reminder! Glad your situation was not worse.

As a rule, I try to wait a few hours before starting, after using spray cleaners near engine bay items.

reb87

My 1009 wouldnt start yesterday after sitting most of the summer. I was thinking like a bonehead and dumped a little diesel down the intake like I would to a gas burner to help the fuel pump. I hit the starter and had the same wt? moment as the engine was racing.

67_C-30

My 1009 wouldnt start yesterday after sitting most of the summer. I was thinking like a bonehead and dumped a little diesel down the intake like I would to a gas burner to help the fuel pump. I hit the starter and had the same wt? moment as the engine was racing.
That's interesting. Most diesels will not do anything (except hydrolock if its enough) if you pour diesel in the intake. Diesel fuel has to be injected at high pressure directly into the combustion chamber or precup to ignite normally. Now gasoline or starting fluid/solvent, that's another story!

reb87

I didnt put very much in and did use the glow plugs but it started right up ran for about 3-4 seconds and died.

natemccabe

this is a noob question, but what is the foam on the air filter? I was feeling lazy, not to mention I didn't have my tools, and took my 1009 to jiffy lube for the oil change. Had the air filter replaced and now that I look, they threw my foam away. Is it a vital component or just an "extra"?