• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Semigloss/Satin black finish

JGBallew

Been working on this M38A1, and as the layers of paint come off I keep finding semigloss black as the base coat on frame, front and rear diffs and suspension components. (The body seems to be that typical semi OD).

Was this the factory finish that was oversprayed pre issue, or would the vehicle have been operated with those parts as black instead of OD til it's first repaint?

rdsar2k

Black is original frame

This has been brought up several times on different sites. The gist is that the frame was built and painted black. Green was sprayed over the black by the factory when assembling the Jeep. Some theorized that the sub assemblies were made in the same area as civilian Jeeps and all parts were painted black. The final assembly line sprayed everything green. Also theorized is that after assembly the factory would send a worker to spray any shiney bolts/parts in the parking lot that were installed at assembly.

paradeduty

Amazing how this sort of stuff just kind of gets lost to history when the "guys who did the wrenching" are possibly not with us anymore. Makes you want to go out and save another piece of green iron - oops, the wife is giving me the eye. She says "take a picture and write a book"! Just kidding, she is a really good sport. I remember one time many years ago when I was into both Cadillacs and Military Trucks, I would drive an MV to the Caddy Club meetings on the snow days. Was really cool to hear the stories some of the guys had about actually being involved in this or that engineering on the trucks while they were working for GM, Ford, etc., doing research/design for the Military. Very cool. These "bling" guys used to get a kick out of the green iron.

JGBallew

This has been brought up several times on different sites. The gist is that the frame was built and painted black. Green was sprayed over the black by the factory when assembling the Jeep. Some theorized that the sub assemblies were made in the same area as civilian Jeeps and all parts were painted black. The final assembly line sprayed everything green. Also theorized is that after assembly the factory would send a worker to spray any shiney bolts/parts in the parking lot that were installed at assembly.

This is what I assumed, but you know about assumptions.
Better to get more input and go from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks