• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Servicing the transfer case ? ?

jason@snakeriver

I dropped the oil out of the transfer case and transmission, and as you would suspect, the oil in the transfer was watery.
The pump sits high on the right side of the transfer case and a large tube comes from the bottom of the TC to the pump.
I will replace the oil in both with 80-90w,.
Question is : how do you prime the pump ? ? And I assume that you check it by cracking the small line leading from the pump to the top of the TC into 2 differant spots.
Any suggestions ? ?
The guy at Riv Rad said that if the pump is not working, you are in trouble, as they are hard to find and replace.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
any update on this topic?

My goat developed a drive train vibration/grinding this weekend.

I am suspecting the T-case to be the source of my trouble.

How do you prime and or check the T case oil pump?

Sevo

Hey guys,

When I was checking my pump, I cracked the out line from the pump and put both the transfer case and the transmission in neutral and started the goat. With both of them in neutral the drive line will spin and this will activate the pump. If it is squirting out it is working ;). This way you can prime it as well. Mine was working good, thank goodness.

I hope this helps!!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pictures GW, Thanks!

I found a piece of crud(unknown) in one of the check-ball seats of my T-Case pump(it was not pumping).

I can "feel" my T case when I apply the throttle. I need to disassemble and find what was damaged by the lack of oil flow.

I may pull the bearing caps off, one at a time with the T-case in the vehicle. I just haven't had time to do it yet.

I would like to find a replacement T case also.(spares are good)

Gamagoat1

You can prime the T case pump by pouring some 90 weight or STP into the suction side. I used STP so it wouldn't pump out to fast and gain prime. Pump it by hand till you get a little discharge then assemble it to the case.connect all lines except discharge and start engine. With transfer in neut. and transmission in first let it spin and catch the discharge. It's not a big amout of discharge, just enough to oil the upper bearings. The gears get a good lube from the lower gears as they make contact. Parts for these little pumps are real rare, like an honest politician.
If the piston is scored you may have to have one made. Before you assemble make sure check balls and passages are clean.

ULF, You sure have PURRTY teath..(Avitar)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks