• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Several Cranks To Start Cause?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Truck was sitting 2 years before I got it. Once running it idles and pulls well, but it takes 2 to 3 fifteen second cranks to start each time. Batteries are fresh, I cant see any leaking from the IP. What would cause it to require that much cranking to start up? I plan to replace the FDC this week as well.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this your new multifuel dump? Is the in tank pump running strong? Is the hose from the in tank pump to the pump carrier in good shape?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yes indeed it is the dump aka Tonk. With ignition on, I can feel the in tank pump running (side note, once started there is a horrible squeal until i turn the ignition back to the off position).

The hose from the pump: To inspect this I need to drain the tank or is it simply the external hose the exits the top of the tank?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes indeed it is the dump aka Tonk. With ignition on, I can feel the in tank pump running (side note, once started there is a horrible squeal until i turn the ignition back to the off position).

The hose from the pump: To inspect this I need to drain the tank or is it simply the external hose the exits the top of the tank?
Whatever is squealing needs to be diagnosed and fixed. To inspect the hose, remove the screws that hold the pump carrier and lift it out. Don't have to drain tank.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
It's weird:
Ignition on : buzz and no squeal.
Crank and start: horrible squeal.
Ignition off: squeal goes away.

I will pull the pump carrier and check it. So it's not likely a bad IP?

m715mike

Where is the squeal coming from?

The belt on my Deuce is just slightly too big. On occasion, I get a horrible squeal on start-up. But it doesn’t last long.

Reactions: NDT

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's weird:
Ignition on : buzz and no squeal.
Crank and start: horrible squeal.
Ignition off: squeal goes away.

I will pull the pump carrier and check it. So it's not likely a bad IP?
Just a guess, but might start by looking at the alternator/alternator belt first. If there is heavy load(like charging the batteries) applied while the truck is running, the belt might slip, squealing as it does. When you turn off the ignition and it takes the load away the alternators resistance is less, and therefore not overcoming the traction of the belt/pulley connection, thus no squeal. I would check belt condition and tension first, then have alternator tested.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Just a guess, but might start by looking at the alternator/alternator belt first. If there is heavy load(like charging the batteries) applied while the truck is running, the belt might slip, squealing as it does. When you turn off the ignition and it takes the load away the alternators resistance is less, and therefore not overcoming the traction of the belt/pulley connection, thus no squeal. I would check belt condition and tension first, then have alternator tested.
Good point, will check that too.

charlesmann

The long cranks to start sound very much like a fuel delivery issue. Isolate your fuel system from the tank/s and use a 12 or 24 volt pump (simulating your in-take pump) , your choice, and pull fuel from a fuel can, with new hose running to the IP inlet and back into the same can. If it fires right up, then you might be loosing prime and or sucking air from inside your tank. My truck looses prime if i let it sit for more than a day, and i have to use manual prime pump to get fuel back to it.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Loosing prime sounds accurate, hot restart is instant. I am about to do the FDC bypass and may as well replace all old fuel line while in there. I ordered up DOT 3/8" and new ferule, sleeves, npt plugs etc. Is all the fuel line the same size?

charlesmann

Loosing prime sounds accurate, hot restart is instant. I am about to do the FDC bypass and may as well replace all old fuel line while in there. I ordered up DOT 3/8" and new ferule, sleeves, npt plugs etc. Is all the fuel line the same size?
Iv got a bunch of -6 and -8 braided hyd line, and some -4. When i end up tearing into mine, I'm replacing everything i can with the braided hose. iv already got, it was getting thrown away, so i repurposed it. the military and faa may require a shelf life on the hose, but i don't.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The long cranks to start sound very much like a fuel delivery issue. Isolate your fuel system from the tank/s and use a 12 or 24 volt pump (simulating your in-take pump) , your choice, and pull fuel from a fuel can, with new hose running to the IP inlet and back into the same can. If it fires right up, then you might be loosing prime and or sucking air from inside your tank. My truck looses prime if i let it sit for more than a day, and i have to use manual prime pump to get fuel back to it.
Multifuel doesn't have primer pump.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
If it helps, I can hear the pump running. Let me go pull the carrier out and see if it as simple as old fuel line.

charlesmann

Multifuel doesn't have primer pump.
i guess i should have specified, i don't have a multi fuel, i have an 8.3 cummins, so I have to prime mine.

Even if a piece of equip didn't come OEM with a primer pump, a person could add 1 if they are having issues with loosing prime. It doesn't have to be a manual either. I may even get a 24 to 12 vdc converter and put a FASS fuel pump, to help prime my system.

charlesmann

If it helps, I can hear the pump running. Let me go pull the carrier out and see if it as simple as old fuel line.

It could be something as simple as that. I had an electrical component go out on my acft, and all bc of a simple ground, it caused me to chase my tail for a full day, and half the night prior. Sometimes, the simple things make us scratch our heads and wonder what the heck is going on

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How cold is it? Are you pressing down the throttle pedal a little while cranking?

My LDT engine is not super fresh. When cold I hold down the throttle pedal a bit while cranking. Usually takes 5 to 8 seconds I would estimate. It starts catching and if I have the throttle right revs will come right up. If I don't it takes a second try. Three if I am having a bad morning.

Instant hot restart every time no throttle press needed.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
About 53F out currently. I havent tried cranking with pedal all the way down, is that the standard procedure?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks