• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter carrier hardware

2deuce

I would really like to see one mounted on a M1028. It's probably not too practical so maybe there aren't many out there, but if somebody has one, I'd like to see it and how its attached. I'll try the TM's and classifieds for pics too. Thanks

Stonepicker1

TM 55-2320-289-14 30 January 1987​
b. Securing S-250 Shelter to CUCV.​
The S-250 shelter must be secured with four standard CUCV tiedowns
and four additional auxiliary shelter cables. The auxiliary cables should be fastened in a diagonal
crisscross fashion to already existing shelter tiedown points as shown in figure 7-5. The auxiliary cables
are fabricated from 3/8-inch improved plow steel cable, turnbuckles, cable clamps, 7/16-inch clevises and 7/8-
inch clevises. The exact material list is contained in table 7-6.

c. Shelter Tiedown Brackets for S-250 Shelter.​
Figures 7-6 and 7–7 show the tiedown brackets for the
front and rear of the M1028 CUCV shelter carrier as shown in figure 7-5, Tables 7-7 and 7-8 show the

parts for each bracket.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brackets in the classified are for the M884, not the M1028.
You need 2 brackets that bolt into the bed to reinforce the ends
of the sides, and one long channel with U bolts on the ends that
goes across the top edge of the forward end of the bed.
Bruce

2deuce

I ended up getting a shelter for my M1028 and I got it in the bed late this evening. Is there anything that is supposed to be under the shelter? It rests on the bed rails. The rails do have a top plate. Anybody here have a shelter mounted mil-spec, with a picture? Thanks

m38inmaine

You need the shelter cribbing/dunnage, most people don't know about it. It keeps the shelter centered in the bed and off of the bed rails. All the tie downs do is keep it from tipping out of the truck. There are plans to make it for the various trucks in the supply bulletin SB 11-640. I built mine out of presssure treated 2x6, and I used decking screws instead of nails.

http://www.tpub.com/content/misc_manuals_3/TM-55-2320-289-14/TM-55-2320-289-140060.htm

http://www.tpub.com/content/misc_manuals_3/TM-55-2320-289-14/TM-55-2320-289-140061.htm

http://www.tpub.com/content/misc_manuals_3/TM-55-2320-289-14/TM-55-2320-289-140062.htm

http://brochures.slosh.com/cucv/tm55-2320-289-14.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: NDT

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you please post the TM# and page for the cribbing for the CUCV. The reason I ask is because I have searched thru all the cucv tm's I have and did not find any info on cribbing
Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:

2deuce

My shelter has rails built into the bottom of the shelter on the sides and blocks on the ends. I'm unsure until I do some measuring, but I'm wondering if my shelter requires the same dunnage. M38inmaine, is your shelter built with the built in rails or is it flat bottom? I'm wondering if some shelters are different on the bottom. Thanks

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, but I am still a bit confused. Acording to the TM10-5411-205-13, the M1028 requires dunnage as described in TM 9-2320-289 which is the CUCV set of TM's. I've looked in those and haven't found any description of dunnage for the M1028 and S-250. I know I can improvise but
I was hoping to find the correct layout. I currently have the shelter mounted on my M390C trailer but was thinking of putting it on the M1008.

Is an empty S-250 too heavy to put on the M1008 or does it really need the dualies?

Thanks,
Bruce

m38inmaine

Any cucv will need the dunnage for the S-250, all the cucv pickup beds are identical in interior dimension. The M1028 has the tie down bracket kit installed from the factory, overload springs. The cucv dunnage plans work with all the cucv's and a S-250. You don't need the dual wheel configuration for the shelter, my brother has one mounted in a M1008 and it doesn't sag the springs at all. I have one mounted on my M882 and it works fine as well. I also have the correct dunnage for the M882 installed.

2deuce

The problem I see with the dunnage is backing the truck under the shelter. It was a tight fit without any dunnage. I can see the need for dunnage under the bottom rails to keep the shelter off the bed sides but I would like to find another way to anchor the shelter at least front to rear so it doesn't move in a hard stop.
I also need the front mounting tie downs and steel channel. If anyone has them please send me a PM.
Thanks

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m38inmaine: What type of wood did you use, and what kind of paint etc. did you coat it with?
Thanks,
Bruce

2deuce

Firefox, the best wood to use would be pressure treated. It will never rot. That's what M38 used too. The bad is when you cut it the cut wood will be exposed that is not treated. The pressure treating doesn't go all the way through. To give the cut areas some protection you could paint those or put with a deck sealer. I think I will use the dunnage in the front and sides, but my shelter has blocks built into it that support a rail in the front. The rail in the front is the same height as the sides so the top planks won't work and that gap under the plank up front won't be there.

M38inmaine- when your shelter is installed, what is the distance from the shelter to the bed at the bottom in the front. If I know that distance my shelter will be in the correct position, Looking at the donnage for the M1028 makes me think my shelter was made for a HMMWV M1097, but mine has the brackets and jacks that I don't think could be used on a HMMWV. Thanks

m38inmaine

From the pictures in the HMMWV TM it looks to me like the install kit for the S250 bolts to the floor of the truck not he shelter. I will post some pictures of mine sitting in the dunnage. Mine is built from 2x6 pressure treated lumber and decking screws, I did not paint it.

KsM715

From the pictures in the HMMWV TM it looks to me like the install kit for the S250 bolts to the floor of the truck not he shelter. I will post some pictures of mine sitting in the dunnage. Mine is built from 2x6 pressure treated lumber and decking screws, I did not paint it.

Correct. When we had our s-250 maint. shelter mounted in our HMMWV's it (the shelter) was bolted down at the bottom most corners to a bracket that was bolted into the back of the HMMWV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks